Chapter 1

*All chapters will be viewed as Lily's point of view unless specified as otherwise*

"As I ran around the park, I saw my best friend, Peyton, was sitting on a large rock. Just like always, her dark brown eyes were stuck in her book. This time, she was reading Shadowhunters. Not sure which one though, seeing as there are six books to the series. I ran over to her, the wind from my speed tossing my firey, curly, red ponytail all around.

"Now, which one is that?" I asked, pointing to her book.

"Well, this is the third book, City of Glass," she replied.

"I thought you were reading the first book just yesterday."

"I was, but I somehow got to the third one."

"That wouldn't be by staying up all night to read, right?" I question, jokingly.

Peyton looked down, her short, pin straight, golden hair covering her face. "Yes, that would be how I got to the third book."

"You know you have to sleep at some point."

"I know, but reading is the obvious, better option."

I chuckled at this, and grabbed the book out of her loose grasp.

"Hey, give that back!"

"If you want it, you'll have to catch me," I say just before sprinting off.

"That's not fair, you're on the track team! I'm not!" Peyton whined.

I didn't answer, but looked back to see if she was coming. With just a quick glare at me, Peyton started sprinting, just not as fast as me.

"Come..on...This isn't... fair!" Peyton was out of breath.

I stopped and turned to see Peyton doubled over, trying to catch her breath. I jogged back over to her, and we both sat on the ground. I started chuckling, which soon became whole hearted laughing. Peyton started laughing too, and soon enough we were on our backs, trying to stop the laughter.

"It's Saturday. Wanna come to my house? My dad is gonna be at work until Monday," I offer.

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Go days by yourself, while your dad is working. I could never do it. My parents would never allow me to spend more than three hours alone at my house."

"Well, my dad has to pay for him and I, for food and the house, and for school. He has to work a bunch, ever since my mom..." I trailed off at the end, not wanting to talk about it.

"Oh, I know. But, I mean, don't you get lonely?" Peyton's voice was quiet now.

"Sure, that's why I run. Takes my mind off of all struggles in life. It's like it's just me, and the ground under my feet. We should get going, I'm sure the sun will set in a few minutes. I mean it's," I take my phone out of my pocket, and turn it on, "8:27."

I looked up, only to see the sun is almost set already. Handing the book back to Peyton, I stand up. Peyton stands up too, and we walk to my house. My house is just a small, two story, brick house on the bank of a river. My room is on the second floor, with a beautiful view of the river. It's July, so all the greens of the trees reflect into the water. There are a few tiger lilies scattered across the bank, reflecting their orange on top of the green. The water itself is blue like a sapphire. Absolutely gorgeous.

"I know this is a tough topic to talk about, but can you please tell me what happened to your mom? You just left me with empty pieces of the puzzle," Peyton said, sincerely.

I stared at my eyes in my mirror, my emerald green eyes. The eyes that are lined with a light blue. Just like my mom.

"Okay, but I will need to get the tissues. Get comfy, this is gonna be a long story," I answered, watching as my eyes were already filling up with tears.

Little did I know that bringing up these memories would start new, mysterious ones.