Chapter 23

Waking up to an alarm was something I didn't miss. I mean, I have to force myself to get up and get ready for school. Absolutely insane, I know.

"Get up," Beau says from across the room. I sit up to see him sitting in his bed, while I'm on his pull-out couch.

I just laugh, "I'm up."

I slowly get up, going to the neatly stacked piles of my clothes. I chose a plain, long sleeve, black crop top, and some white shorts. I went into Beau's bathroom to change, and came out only to see Beau fast asleep once more.

"Get up," I joked as I hit his arm lightly. He groaned but got up, getting his own clothes. Before he gets changed, I go downstairs. Odette already left for work, but that's normal. I just got a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast, and Beau came down the stirs slowly. He was wearing a black T-shirt and blue jeans.

"Hmm, coincidence? We both have a black shirt." I grinned as I said this, and Beau just grinned right back at me.

"Not a coincidence at all."

Beau grabbed a bowl and got some Cheerios as well, the two of us eating in silence. Once I finished, I washed my bowl and went to brush my teeth. After that, I spritzed on some vanilla perfume, put on some light grey eyeshadow and mascara, and grabbed my bag and shoes. Beau brushed his teeth, grabbed his bag and shoes, and we both went to the door. Beau had a pair of black Nike sneakers, and I had a pair of white Converse. We looked at each other, and I let out a soft sigh.

"What's wrong?" Beau quietly asked.

"I'm nervous as to what everyone's gonna say. I mean, I'm just a nobody, no one knows me. Everyone knows you. It just won't go well."

"Don't be worried, you might lose control. You have me, that's all that matters. And Peyton, too. We're here for you."

I hugged Beau, silently thanking him. He pulled back and held onto my shoulders, looking me in the eye. "We got this."

I smile, and that's when the bus comes. Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Neither Beau nor I have a car, so we have to take the bus. I have my permit, and Beau has his license, but no car. Problematic, as you can see.

I walk out, hand in hand with Beau. I could see some juniors and seniors looking out the window, but I didn't care. Like Beau said, I have him. I'm okay.

When we walked onto the bus, we found an empty seat towards the back. I sat down first, Beau following suit. I look around, only to find almost all the high school students staring at us. I turn to face the window, watching the world go by. It really is beautiful, the blur of everything becoming one. 

"Don't pay attention to them, I'm just so good looking they can't keep their eyes off me," Beau jokes.

"Very funny, I'm not used to people looking at me. They normally turn the other way." I look at my hands, which are slightly shaking. Beau notices where my eyes have drifted and sets his hand over my own. 

"It's okay. I'm not gonna let anyone do anything to you. I promise." I look at Beau, only to see him looking at me. I blink, and smile. A genuine smile.

What is this boy doing to me?

"I trust you." I say, the smile never faltering.

"Good, because that's all I had. And I don't see why you wouldn't trust me, I'm letting you stay at my house. If you didn't trust me, you wouldn't be there, would you?"

"No, I wouldn't."

The rest of the bus ride was quiet, neither of us saying anything. I could hear the other people making comments about me and Beau, but mostly me.

"Do you think she's paying him to date her?" "Why would he go for her? She's a nobody while he's the somebody. Everyone knows him." "She's so ugly, so unpopular, annoying. He must have lost his mind over the summer to actually be with her."

I try to shut everyone out, but it doesn't work. I can feel myself getting angrier with every snide comment. I quickly take out my phone and earbuds, plugging them in and putting them in my ears. I put on my favorite playlist, the songs are all different but good. Beneath Your Beautiful by Labrinth, Cowboys and Angels by Dustin Lynch, Havana by Camila Cabello, and so many more. I just close my eyes and focus on the words of the songs. 

The bus pulls into the school bus circle, and we wait for all the other busses to get there. Once all busses are parked, the bus doors open and we're let off. The school day has begun.