Chapter Twenty

"Pain is temporary

"Pain is temporary. Victory is forever."

~•~•~•~•~

"Archangel is dead."

When those words slipped off the edge of Swiftspeck's mouth, Dimstar eyes widened in utter shock. His heart beat slowed and his mouth corners curled into a slight smile of hope and faith. His eyes watered at the sense of joy that now began to burn beneath him, his claws unsheathing for the first time in a long time.

The leader's form turned to follow the gaze of every cat towards Swiftspeck. The tom stood with his chin tilted towards the sky and his eyes burning with an overwhelming sense of satisfaction with the current situation. Dimstar gaze scanned the area around Swiftspeck, expecting Archangel's body to be by him.

But that was when Swiftspeck sidestepped to reveal a sight that made Dimstar's jaws gap in absolute horror and shock. His heart drummed against his chest and he took a shakey paw step forward. The scene felt as if a thorn was released from the agonizing spot of being trapped in his paw pad. Relieving. But it also would continue to bleed, leaving a stinging mixture of relief and pain. The blood would drip and leave Dimstar horrified no matter what.

What murder would never be found horrifying?

Archangel's body was sprawling out, his fur streaked with crimson and his eyes still wide with terror but foggy and distant. His flank no longer heaved with every breath that he took while torturing EchoClan and reigning over all. His claws were sheathed and his mouth were shut. For once the tyrant was no harm to EchoClan, but only because he could do no harm. Archangel would never take another breath and never lacerate another cat's skin ever again.

A silvery item was stabbed into the tyrant's chest, blood seeping rapidly from the wound. Dimstar's eyes narrowed at the terrifying, agonizing way that death was delivered to the white tom. That was when the russet leader's eyes skimmed up to eye the cat that stood proudly beside Archangel's limp form.

The cat's eyes were set ablaze with a prodigious amount of pride and satisfaction in the murder. Their head was tilted towards the sky with their eyelids squeezed together. Their flank expanded out and then in slowly as their gaze opened back up and their head fell to meet the gaze of Dimstar. Their black and white fur stood up towards the sky and they nodded slowly towards Dimstar.

Dimstar nodded slowly back towards the tom. The one who used to be just an innocent, cautious apprentice. The tom who used to work closely amongst his family and always fear the sight of blood which now stained his fur. The tom who used to have a significant amount of love in Dimstar's own son, Quailchaser.

"S-Splashsky?" Dimstar stuttered, a lump knotted in his throat. He swallowed it away and breathed in a sharp intake of breath. "You did this?"