Chapter Three

I felt a hand shake my shoulder roughly and jumped up, throwing my weight into a punch as I saw visions of my mother shaking me awake as a kid. My fist connected with a solid mass and I finally opened my eyes, coming to my senses.

        A series of loud Russian swearing made my blood run cold and I threw myself back into the wall, curling in on myself to take the blow that was yet to come. My heart was beating so fast I thought I might pass out.

      "Kotyonok, Sang, it's Raven." I finally snapped out of my mind and regained my senses. I was in America, I helped Marc and now I was in Raven's bed. I was safe.

        Hesitantly, I let my arms drop from where they curled over my head and peaked at Raven. Across his right cheek was a bright red mark that would definitely leave a black eye. Raven himself was breathing heavy, staring at me with sad eyes. Oh god, what did I do?

        "I'm so sorry, oh I'm so sorry." I couldn't help it as my eyes welled with tears. What kind of doctor was I? I'd taken an oath to do no harm, to heal others, yet here I was giving an innocent man a black eye. I kept mumbling apologies, not sure if I was speaking Greek, English or Russian at this point.

        "Shit, ah, it's fine." Raven looked panicked which just made me tear up more. "Kotyonok, please stop crying, I'm fine."

        "I hurt you, it's not fine." I whispered softly, more comfortable speaking Russian. Slowly, I crawled forward on my knees to the end of the bed where Raven was standing. When I was close enough I lifted my hand like I was going to examine the spot I'd punched him but stopped, letting my hand drop.

        "Stop crying, kitten, please. It hurts more than your punch." Raven very slowly lifted his arms like he was calming a wild animal. As his arms settled around me I let myself sink into his chest, accepting the hug.

        I didn't say anything, just soaking up the warm of Raven's arms and letting my tears dry. I could feel Raven tighten his arms and settle one of his hands on the back of my head to pull me even closer. A few minutes of silence passed.

        "Thank you." I whispered and pulled my body away so I could look up at the Russian man who had just comforted me. I was used to much harsher hands by a Russian. "I'm really sorry I hit you. I should have warned you before I fell asleep not to be in reaching distance when you wake me up."

        Raven reached forward and tucked a golden strand of hair behind my ear. "Kotyonok, I'm surprised you didn't fall asleep while we were eating you were so tired. I don't blame you."

         "Still," I muttered, looking at the spot where I'd hit him. "Is there a bathroom I can use before checking on Marc?"

         "This way." I wobbled a little when I stood, trying to ignore how badly my hands were shaking. I needed to pull myself together.

        I followed Raven out of his room and he gestured to a door his right. "Bathroom is there, no rush."

        "Thank you," I opened the bathroom door but glanced back at Raven. "If you put ice on your face the swelling will go down.

        Raven gave me grin that made my heart race. "Why would I put ice on it? That was an impressive punch, it will leave a cool bruise."

        I couldn't help the laughter that bubbled out of me, covering my mouth with my hand and shutting the bathroom door with my other. Raven was something alright.

        With a final giggle, I went to the bathroom and washed my hands, sparing a moment to finger comb my hair and splash some water on my face. I really needed a change of clothes and a toothbrush but it would have to wait. With a final glance in the mirror I left the bathroom and wandered to the main living area.