Chapter 14

37 

"So learn a lesson?..." Mae asks her friend as she continues counting the inventory.

"Um, define 'learn'?" is the easy response back as Lilly frosts another cupcake with a smirk, ignoring the twinge of pain the simple facial expression caused her.

"Like, not pissing off random men? Especially when they are threatening you with a shotgun?" Mae asks; she's now looking pointedly at her friend.

Several moments of silence pass as Lilly stares at a cupcake in silent contemplation.

"Honestly?" She sighs. "The thing I learned was yes, there was a gun, and I'm not crazy. Don't know why we had to give it back by the way... I want to start a trophy collection. We can make a wall of it entitled 'All the shitty scenarios we survive' it'll be, like a memory wall, it'd be neat."

"Lilly!" Mae shouts in complete frustration feeling the need to throttle her friend.

"Mae!" Lilly mimics back, using the same tone, with a light smile on her face as she frosts another cupcake. "See? Look! I can sound like a scornful mother hen too... Sounds better with you though. Fits you, harpy."

"I hate you." Mae smiles, sticking her tongue out at her sister.

"Love you too." Lilly smiles back.

"I thought we were done talking about this. You've been asking about that for two whole days. I'm back in the shop, everything is clearing up. It's fine." Well medically anyways... really need to fit in a visit with my shrink soon; bitch will have a field day with this one... She should really be paying me. "Hey Mae... do you think I can get Marie to start paying me for the visits?" Lilly asks innocently, as she picks up a different shade of icing and continues her task at hand.

"No Lilly. As humorous as your antics are, I don't... However if you ever had a study done on you..." Mae leaves off, finishing up the inventory and placing it on a desk to be later entered into their accounting program. I think I'm done with office work for today though.

"Oh, shut it. You know I'm awesome. If I ever did one of those they'd never give me back to you, and where would that leave you? Alone, and bored to tears, I assure you."

"Or, I don't know? Sane, perhaps is the word I would use." Mae responds as she pulls up a stool and goes about decorating the last batch of the cupcakes. She winces and shakes her hand out when her first attempted grip pulls at the stitches on her palm.

"Oh Mae, how you wound me." Lilly says clutching at her chest in a display of overdramatized heartache.

"How did you trick me into counting inventory again anyways? We both know you don't have the attention span to frost cupcakes..." Mae asks looking at the cupcakes in question with a careful eye, if only to humor her friend.

"Shut it. You know I only suck at detail work... And because you love me...And, obviously, the fact you have stitches, cause, yeah, that too...." Lilly remarks with a smirk as she finishes the last of her batch.

"So, on a completely different note... Do you think the boys might stop by... Or, I don't know, pull a John..." Mae asks pausing mid pipe to look at her friend who stilled at the words.

"I think that those two are barely like John. Well, Sam's got a bit more of John, I suppose. But, no. I'm not sure.... So, do you really not think it's gross that I was drooling all over his boys? Cause, like, if you ever mention it to John I might kill you...." Oh God, this is super awkward; of course it would be Mae's surrogate father figure's sons I would completely make an ass out of my self over... Fuck me.