Chapter One: The Derp Crew

Chilled's P.O.V

16 Years Old

It's been one year, and the fact that she isn't coming back still stings. How could she just leave us? You'd think that your mum would be generally more loving towards her family, wouldn't you? But no. That's not the case. At least she taught me one last important lesson... Those that you love the most will leave you heartbroken.

My dad and brother still haven't gotten over it either, especially dad. He's barely talked for longer than five minutes since she left, at least not around me. He works overtime just to keep occupied, and it hurts to see him like that. My brother is very much the same in that he keeps quiet, but he used drugs to keep occupied...

Tears threatened to fall, like they do too often these days when I think about her. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to stop them. No use. I need fresh air. I get ready to go out for a walk, and I know exactly where I'm gonna go.

I walk out the front door, not saying a word to the others. I'm sure they know by now where I'm going, and they know that I'll be back soon... Unlike mum.

Usually I listen to music, but today I want to listen to the world. It's late afternoon, about 4pm. The sun is hidden behind clouds, but it's still warm against my skin. Not the kind of unbearable warmth though, but rather a soft warmth. It makes me sleepy.

I can hear to cars going pass. There isn't a lot there, since it's past the after-school rush and before the after-work rush. There are birds chirping above me in the trees, and I spot the odd squirrel here and there. I hear the crunching of sticks under my feet as I walk down the path. I should listen to the world more often. It's calming.

I see the playground up ahead, my destination. I used to come here with my dad as a kid, and I met my best friend here, so it has a positive vibe around it for me. I looked around to see if anybody was here, and found it to be empty. Perfect, some alone time. I sat on the swing and started swinging back and forth softly. I used to believe that I could swing all the way around. Silly boy my dad would say with a chuckle. He'd still push the swing for me though, like he too believed that I could go all the way around. I started swinging harder, getting some more height. Maybe I can do it this time.

An hour passed, and my legs and stomach were sore from swinging so hard, and I had no luck in going all the way around. Oh well. At least I felt a bit better. I started walking home just as the traffic got busier with the work rush. I could hear the different types of noises that different cars made. I always assumed that cars made to same kind of vroom vroom, but I was mistaken.

I tried to walk quickly home as it was getting dark and I didn't have a light source on me. Most of the street lights were near the footpath and road, and the path I took was hidden behind some trees. It was a shortcut my brother showed me, and I took it ever since then. It was great. It turned a twenty minute walk into a ten minute one, so there was more time to play.

As I neared home, I heard yelling. This wasn't uncommon. Dad tried all he could to steer my brother away from drugs. However, the arguments don't last long. They often end with my brother-

SLAM

-storming out...

He walked passed me in a huff, not even stopping to look at me. I don't know where he goes when he storms out, and I don't dare follow him to see. All I know is that he comes back beaten and bloody, so it's not good. My guess is that he gets high with friends then looks for a fight. He could be gone anytime from one hour to one day.

My family is breaking quicker than I'd hope.

I enter the house the find my dad cleaning broken glass off the floor. I go up to him.