Chapter 6

Butterflies fluttered around in the pit of my stomach as I walked from the East building to the West. My afternoon had felt like an eternity since Hikaru had asked me to go to the park with him after school. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go through with the whole outing thing or not. I mean, sure I guess you could call the twins and I friends of some sort, but surely nothing more. Which is why I was afraid.

Is this supposed to be a date? I don't like Hikaru that way at all. He's mean and childish and I don't romanticize about him at all. So what was I to do? Let him down easy? I couldn't just not show up, that would be even worse.

I sighed loudly, running a hand through my hair. Breathe, Soymikou. You're just overestimating this. Obviously this outing wasn't a way for Hikaru to admit his feelings for me. He definitely did not think of me in that way. So, I came to the conclusion that this had to be some sort of trick. The twins were known for tricks. Heck, trick could be their middle names for all I knew. So when I reached the West courtyard and saw a tall, auburn-haired boy standing by the fountain, I took a deep breath and strode forward.

A small smile spread on my lips, but I stopped in my tracks, gasping quietly a few steps away from the twin. It was not Hikaru. It was definitely Kaoru. “H-hi.” I spoke, tilting my head to the side.

Kaoru grinned widely and placed a head on his hip. “Hey, Soymikou. Ready to go to the park?” He asked cheerfully.

I nodded my head slowly, confused as to why Kaoru was here instead of Hikaru. Not that it was a bad thing; Kaoru seemed to be a little more kind to others than his brother when they were separated. But what was the reasoning behind this mix-up? Was it done on purpose? Was it like I said: a trick?

I looked down at my feet, my hair falling over my shoulders to create a dark curtain to hide behind. “Wait,” I said, catching Kaoru's attention before he turned away to start walking, “you aren't Hikaru.”

Kaoru shrugged. “He said he couldn't make it. It's because he never really liked you anyway, Soymikou, but I do. So, will you go with me instead?”

My brows drew together in confusion. Hikaru didn't like me? I felt tears form in my eyes, tears of sadness and anger. How could Kaoru be so casual about this? “No, thank you.” I huffed, crossing my arms over my body.

Kaoru's expression didn't change, but his eyes darted around the courtyard, suddenly becoming frantic. “Well, why not?”

I looked up at him threw my lashes and bit my lip timidly. “Because I told Hikaru I'd go with him. So, I'll wait to go with him another time, whether he likes it or not.” If Hikaru thought he could just let his brother do the dirty work and tell me that he didn't like me, well, then he didn't know me very well.

Kaoru's eyes grew wide and his mouth fell agape. His large amber eyes searched my own, although I didn't know what he was looking for exactly. After what seemed like a millennium of silence between the two of us, Kaoru smiled. And it wasn't the kind of smile he had when he was causing trouble, or the smile he got whenever he talked to his brother. It was a small smile of happiness and gratitude, and his eyes gazed at me kindly.

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, ready to turn around and go home, but the sound of Kaoru's voice stopped me. “Hikaru!” He yelled, “She passed the test!”

I passed the test? What test?

The sound of footsteps came from behind me, and I spun around to see Hikaru emerging from behind one of the many pillars in the courtyard. A large smile was plastered on his face as he strode toward Kaoru and I. “You did it, Soymikou!” Hikaru exclaimed before engulfing me in his arms.

Blood rushed to my cheeks, turning them bright red, and my heart started beating faster than ever before as I was pulled against Hikaru. As if that wasn't enough to put me into cardiac arrest, Kaoru's arms wrapped around the two of us and I almost fainted there on the spot. “W-what?” I panted, my breaths coming out short and quick.

The two boys released me and stepped back, gazing at me with admiration. “You can tell us apart, even when we're not together.” Hikaru explained. “Only you and Haruhi can do that.”

My head might as well have been positioned on my neck at a forty-five degree angle at birth by the way I was tilting it so often. I looked up at the two boys in front of me with fascination. Was that true? Could only Haruhi and I tell them apart? What about their family, surely they could tell them apart- and the rest of the Host club, what about them? “Nobody else can?” I questioned quietly.

The two boys shook their heads, solemn looks covering their faces. A long, silent pause stretched between the three of us. The only sounds were the autumn leaves rustling in the wind and my own heartbeat pounding loudly in my ears. What should I say? I hadn't the slightest clue. As much as the twins bugged me on a daily basis, I couldn't help but feel sorry for them and their situation. I could imagine being identical was not ideal, but they were born that way and had to suffice. But only two people in the world can tell them apart? How devastating.

“I don't know what to say.” I admitted, looking down at my shoes and back up at them.

Hikaru chuckled. “Hey, don't worry, Soymikou. You don't have to say anything.” He reassured me.

“Yeah, we know your a woman of few words.” Kaoru grinned.

A small smile spread upon my lips, my cheeks still pink and flushed, but I was happy. I was happy for the twins; I was proud that I had made them happy. So, when the two of them asked me if I still wanted to go to the park, I nodded my head and began walking toward the direction of the park with a new sort of spring in my step.

“You know, Soymikou, don't think you're going to get any special treatment now, okay?” Hikaru said.

I sighed, my heart falling. And we're back to square one. But, beside me Kaoru laughed as he looked at his brother, then shifted his gaze to me a smiled widely.

Maybe they weren't so bad after all.