Chapter 11

Day 11,

I didn't get any sleep last night. After discovering Sharon, or what was left of Sharon in the basement yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about what I should do. All my thoughts jumbled around in my head, so I tell my parents? Or what about the police? Should I confront Sharon about the horrifying discovery ... or does she already know? I thought about it all morning and finally came to a conclusion. My parents would be the best people to tell. Then, while they are handling the business with the police, I can discuss this whole thing with Sharon. I sighed and dragged myself out of bed. I slowly made my way down the stairs to the kitchen, trying to imagine how I would tell my parents. I entered the kitchen, sitting down at the table across from my father.

"Good morning sleepy-head", my mother said as she kissed my forehead, sliding a plate of French toast with strawberry syrup and whipped cream in front of me. My favorite, but honestly I didn't have much of an appetite after the night I had.

"Why aren't you eating the delicious breakfast that your mother spent all morning making for you?", my dad questioned with a hint of anger in his voice as he looked up from the morning newspaper.

"I am not eating because I have some really bad news to tell you", I said quietly pushing the plate far away from me. After hearing this, my mother came and sat down next to me with a troubled look in her eyes.

"I don't know how to tell you this, but I went to the library the other day and found a book on the history of this house. Turns out that this house belonged to the Finnigan family and there were many horrific murderer that took place here. However, the grandma was poisened prior to the tragic incident but... her body was never found. I investigated further and discovered that this house has a basement and--", my dad stopped me before I could say any more.

"Honey, we don't have a basement and what does any of this have to do with the bad news you were going to tell us?", my father asked, starting to get impatient with me.

"That's the thing. I have no idea what to say... so I am just going to show you", I claimed as I got up and made my way to the parlor, my parents following closely behind. I started to take the old pictures off the wall when my dad started to get furious.

"Lea! There is no need to dismantle the place just to prove a point!", he yelled as he tried to stop me from taking down the pictures. Before he could reach me, he paused when I took off the last picture. Both of my parents stood in shock when they saw the rusty hinges. I just smirked at them before grabbing my trusty Bobby pin and unlocking the hidden door.

I pulled open the doorway to the dark secrets waiting to be discovered. I cleared my throat before turning to my parents.

"Mom, dad... we have a basement".