Chapter 12

Day 12,

Yesterday was a very stressful day. I had finally worked up the nerves to tell my parents about all the research I have been doing on this house, as well as the secret basement I came across. I started to crawl into the basement so that I could show them the rotting corpse that has been there for years but my dad said that we should get some sleep before exploring the basement any further. Anyway, today is that day. Time to unveil one of the many secrets that lie down there. I quickly got dressed before heading downstairs to the kitchen.

"Good morning Lea", some unfamiliar voice said. I turned around to see a strange man standing in the doorway to the kitchen. I glanced over to see my mom and dad looking at me, their eyes filled with worry. What were they worried about? Me? The house? Our family?

"Come take a seat honey", my father said, patting a chair that was placed next to my mother. I turned my head towards the man once more before walking to the uncomfortable looking chair awaiting me. I sat down and my mother took my hand in hers and gave me a very worried look.

"You are probably wondering who I am and what I'm doing here right?", the strange man said, never taking his eyes off of me. He continued, "I am David Jones and I am a paranormal investigator. I can see and talk to the dead as well as help them crossover".

I took a deep breath before speaking, "...uhm... I can see and talk to the spirits as well". Everyone in the room turned and looked at me like I was crazy. The man then stepped closer to me before kneeling down next to me.

"Only people with special abilities can communicate with the dead. Since you have this ability, you are going to experience things that no one ever will be able to understand.  Now that the spirits know that you can see them and because you have acknowledged them, they are attached to you. I will not be able to cross them over, it is up to you now", he whispered as he slipped a small scrap of paper into my hand. "If you ever have any questions, just call this number".

"But, I don't know anything about the dead or how to help them!", I started to panic.

"Don't worry, you will be able to do it. Just remember, don't let them get into you, then they can cause some real damage", he reassured me before standing up and turning toward my parents. "Seems like I cannot be of service. My deepest apologies", he said before making his way toward the door.

Before he walked out of the door, he looked at me one more time. "Remember,  don't let them get to you". I nodded as he walked out the door. I looked at the small piece of paper with all the digits on it. I crumbled it up before throwing it away. I don't need his help, I can do this all on my own.