Six

Julian woke up with Tom's smell filling his nostrils, he'd sunken deep into the king sized mattress with the comforter nearly suffocating him. His eyes were still closed and he knew he'd have to get out of bed soon. He couldn't move just yet, not because he was still tired, it wasn't even his emotions dragging him down yet again. No, things were different now. Rather than being every reason to stay home and wish the day away, his feelings had finally brought him peace and happiness.

He couldn't leave the bed because of the arms that wrapped around his body, arms he'd been embraced in hugs with, had met in high fives with, the same pair of arms that contained the one that threw footballs at him. Julian was entangled in the grasp of Tom's sleeping body. For the first time, Julian didn't spend the night irked because it was too cold.

The night went better than expected. Julian's 'I love you' wasn't left unanswered, what was heard in return was an 'I love you too' and another passionate kiss to close off all the worries Julian ever had about the future of their relationship. Instead of the past eight years falling apart, building up such a strong friendship and connection just to have it come crashing down, the time lead up to what would be another dream come true for the man. He didn't wait so long to get turned down, hearing Tom return the feelings he'd shared was one of the most overwhelming moments of his entire life.

The second the sounds that made up the phrase were said, in Tom's smooth and captivating voice, Julian forgot how to talk. He was frozen, not completely shocked or surprised, though those emotions lingered in the back of the multitude of things he was feeling. Relief, happiness and complete were the short list of those feelings that stood on top of the others. It wasn't just those words that brought it on, it was the pure fact that Tom made him feel that way. He made him happy, and genuinely completed Julian's life in every aspect. As his quarterback, his best friend, a mentor, a leader, and the man he loved. Tom filled his heart.

It ended with more talking, almost exclusively Julian's voice continuing to explain the past eight years to Tom. He included the journey from start to finish, including the most significant of his memories of their moments together to explain what triggered his falling for him. It wasn't scary, though some parts were embarrassing. It was easy now, for both of them. It was easy for Julian to say what was on his mind without the fear of Tom kicking him out or his stare and smile actually hiding judgemental comments that would have swayed his opinion of his receiver. It was easy for Tom to listen, to not have to sit there and struggle to understand words made inaudible through tears or to have to struggle to fill in the missing bits and pieces of what came from Julian's mouth. It all went smoothly, the way it was supposed to.

When Julian's head ran out of words to say, Tom had stood up. He reached down and grabbed Julian's hand to lead him to the bedroom Tom slept in. Just as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the building, the room was a little messier, but still as put together as anything else to do with Tom.

The two sat at the edge of the bed, where Tom would plant another kiss on Julian's eager lips. They'd shared far more quick moments of intimacy than either of them would have thought they would on the first night that everything was on the table.

Julian was already replaying the things Tom said in his head even if it was just the next morning of hearing it.

"I always knew there was something about you, Jules. I could never figure it out until now. I just needed to hear you say everything for me to clue in on what I felt. I really do love you, I love you so much."

As if Julian was ever going to forget that. The rest of the night was a blur. He didn't remember when they'd fallen asleep, but he was sure he definitely didn't have a struggle drifting off. Being in bed with Tom felt not only warm, but safe, as if there was nothing wrong in the world. There was only peace.