Chapter 13: The Talking Clock

Sofia did not see the image of the woman wearing the red-hooded cloak. Nor did she hear the woman say her name. If she had, maybe she wouldn't have turned the Golden key. But she did. The gemstone lock clicked. And the oyster shell opened. Eyebrows raised and jaw cracked open, Sofia gazed at the enormous pearls inside oyster shell. "Lorn. Come Quick! There's more than just one pearl!" Sofia shouted, diving into the shell. She landed on a black and white checkered marble floor. She darted in and out of the pearls that towered over her head and yelled, "I can't believe it! There are so many pearls!" 

"You should get out of there," Lorn insisted, now kneeling on the edge of the oyster shell peering inside.  

Sofia dashed out from the center of the pearls. "Get out?! What for? They're here... They're really here!" she said, motioning to the pearls.  

Lorn's hands trembled. With a nervously look on his face, he motioned for Sofia to come towards him. "You shouldn't be in there. It's a mistake," he whispered.  

"A mistake?!" Sofia said, sharply. "No. The key led me here. I'm going to find my papa," she insisted.  

Lorn eye's darted around. Then he jumped into the oyster shell and landed on the floor. He crept over to the pearl beside Sofia. "Don't be silly. Your papa is not in there. Nothing is in these things. See?" Lorn insisted and knocked on the pearl three times. He waited. It was silent. "They're empty. It's just as I thought. There's nothing special about this pearl, or any of them for that matter. They're merely pretty things locked in a shell."  

Just then, something inside the pearl knocked back, three times.  

Sofia gasped.  

Lorn rolled his eyes. "It's just an echo," he replied.  

"No!" Sofia exclaimed. "It's the special pearl. The one with the door to another country of Magistan."  

Lorn huffed. "You can't really believe this to be true." 

"The Spirit of the Wind told me, my papa is probably there."  

Lorn's face went blank. "In here?" he asked pointing to the pearl. 

Sofia swiftly nodded.  

"It's impossible," he said, putting his hand on the pearl, feeling its smooth surface. "There's not even a door on this thing... or a lock for that key."  

"There has to be," Sofia insisted. She placed her hand on the pearl and began feeling around. An arched doorway with a keyhole appeared right under Sofia hands. "I knew it!" Sofia interjected, sticking the Golden key in the lock.  

"No don't do that!" Lorn warned.  

Sofia's eyes lit up. "Look. I'll show you," she said, unlocking the door. Instantly, the opaque pearl turned red. A gust of wind blew the door open. Lorn was thrown back. While Sofia clung to the key still stuck in the lock.  

Inside the special pearl was a dark country. Wide-eyed, Lorn and Sofia gazed at the grayish red clouds along the horizon that blanketed the sky. Below the clouds were the most vibrant bands of yellows, oranges and reds, each color bleeding into the other. A dark band of red merged with a black desert, which seemed to stretch endlessly around a massive mountain. It was so tall that its peak was hidden in the clouds. A rumbling noise sounded in the distance.  

Lorn scurried behind Sofia. They both stood there for a moment and gazed over the vast landscape. There were no plants or trees of any kind. There were no creatures stirring or people walking about. There was no sign of any life. It appeared the special pearl was empty. "What do you think?" Sofia asked, as she drew her head forward.