Diary 5: Making a difference

"David ,I'm heading home, are you coming with?" says my mom as she gets her bags ready. 

 "I'll stay, Liz said she'd be coming around to drop off some things." 

 "Okay, I'll bring you some toiletries"

As my mom leaves the room, I too leave. I find myself ending up at the entrance of the hospital. It feels as if I'm standing in a completely different place, everywhere people are smoking. You walk out of the doors where people are curing diseases caused by cigarettes only to walk out the doors again and commit the very action which landed others in hospital. A place of purity and healing vs a place of constant bodily abuse. I actually have no idea how I'm going to know whether she's here. "David !" I hear a female voice shouting from what seems to be from the car park. It's Liz , she's wearing a jersey matched perfectly with her skinny jean. I simply wave to her , I actually have no idea how to greet her. She comes up to me and gives me one big hug, her whole persona seems to have evolved in the short time span from when we met.

 She comes up to me and gives me one big hug, her whole persona seems to have evolved in the short time span from when we met

"How are you ?, here's the stuff.." says Liz after letting go of me. Is she blushing? her cheeks so pink and warm. 

 "Thanks... my mom and I really appreciate it, you wanna go and sit in the park. I'm actually not supposed to leave the quarters where my cousin is." say I realizing that I'd actually made a huge mistake. 

 "Yes sure, my mom's only going to be available in the next hour or so." As we walk to the park I can hear her voice , but frankly I can't hear her at all. All that is running through my head are questions. Now isn't the appropriate time to ask her though. Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to get to know her more.

We eventually make it to the park, we're siting in the perfect position , I can see my cousin perfectly. "So how's the adjustment going?", I ask.

 "Well... my dads a doctor and my moms a teacher, they were both tired of the place where we lived." says Liz , but she's looking down while talking to me. What's she hiding? 

 "Okay... but what the real story?" say I looking straight into her big brown eyes. 

 "I was bullied constantly back where we lived. This group of guys taunted me every day. I couldn't make any friends. I was completely helpless..."

"Oh my word , that's terrible. I experience that everyday at school here."

 ".... I once even thought that the only way that I could get out of my situation was to kill myself. Then everything changed , I read lots of articles , spoke to my parents and confided in a psychologist. It was then that I decided that I needed to change my life. I want to spread the message of how encouragement is needed and that nobody deserves to be treated the way I was. That's most of the reason that I'm here." I can see her eyes are starting to look quite puffy. 

 "I think that what you're doing is amazing, I've struggled with bullies for a long time and knowing that your here to help. It makes me feel a lot better."