Chapter 13

Chapter 13

It wasn't easy transferring over all that money to someone who'd been up to so much shit. At least this way, Calum would leave Harper and I to start our family in peace, which is exactly what I needed. Him coming here had rocked the boat a little but I was determined not to let that capsize us.

A part of me still hoped that we'd be able to stay in touch, though with how things had been going I doubted he'd want to. Since our conversation two weeks ago, we'd hardly spoken; he kept going to his part time jobs and I kept going to Hi or Hey. Instead of going to drinks I'd take Harper out to the movies or to a restaurant where we'd reconnect and fix our problems. To us, Calum was just a lodger in our apartment.

He had decided to leave as soon as the money was in his account. Technically he still had a few weeks but it was probably for the best that he went as soon as possible. I'd have more time to focus on my baby and my baby mother.

"Luke?"

I turned around from my desk in the studio and saw Calum standing at the door with a wrapped box in his hands. "H-hey, what are you doing here? Your flight is in a few hours, shouldn't you be getting down there?"

"I couldn't leave without saying goodbye," he replied.

"That's a first," I murmured.

He sighed and came over, perching on the desk. "Look Luke, I'm really sorry for causing you so much pain. Coming here didn't help, I know – but we met each other again. You found out I wasn't dead. Didn't that make you happy at all?"

I smiled, running a hand through my hair. "Of course it did... but that doesn't change anything. We're history, Calum. What you tried to do, break up my engagement and potentially ruin my future, was not acceptable. Introducing Harper's ex, really?"

"No, listen I wasn't lying about that-"

"It's too late! The money's in your account. It would be best for everyone if you left."

He glanced down at his shoes, ones that we'd bought together just a few weeks ago, when we were both so glad to spend time with each other. Making jokes, having fun like the old times. "I really am sorry. And I know this can't make up for it – it was the most expensive of its kind I could find in Brooklyn – but I hope it means more to you than its price."

Dropping the box in front of me, he stood up properly and turned away to leave. It was wrapped in simple brown parcel paper, with a single golden ribbon tied around it. Gulping, I undid it and removed the tape from the bottom, revealing a heavy leather notebook with a button clasp at the front and extra leather tassels to keep it secure.

Warily I opened it up and found a note written by Calum in his messy but aligned handwriting on the front page.

Luke, my best friend

Sorry for everything, and thank you for everything.

You made this journey worthwhile.

I remember how much you used to love song-writing, so I hope you will go back to it with this notebook.

Lots of love,

CH

Whether it was due to Calum's exit or his sweet message, I began crying profusely, tears falling down my cheeks in twos, sometimes threes. I missed him already... he was probably hailing a cab to JFK right now. It would've been so easy to go down the elevator, stop him, kiss him and run away with him... but I was an adult now. I had responsibilities, things I had to take care of. A baby to bring up into this fascinating world; one which could bring back someone you thought you'd lost forever.