Unseen Enemy

I looked at my gloved hands.

They were a darker red than usual, soaked through with blood. Dirt and mud stuck to the fabric like a leech latched to a vein. I coughed and a painful sting echoed its way through my throat. My hands reached towards my neck at the abrupt pain.

I couldn't help but think, is this how it's going to end?

My body felt heavy lying on the ground. Rain poured in the dark New York streets, catching the light of the streetlamp as it splashed onto the ground. I felt myself shiver uncontrollably at the cold as I lied there. The scent of grease found its way to my nose as my head rested on the concrete street. I stifled a cough, turning my head away from the oil stained ground and towards the alley that I had just come from. It was pitch black. No sign of my adversary.

I pushed myself up to my knees, hands placed in front of me on the ground. The adrenaline seemed to drain from my system in an instant. My injuries were becoming more evident and I almost doubled over at the overwhelming sensation.

"Ah!" I heard my voice escape my mouth as I clutched my side with one hand. Probably a broken...Or two.

I glanced towards the alley once again, a spike of nervousness spreading through my chest. I kept my eyes towards the darkness as I tenderly got to my feet, worried that my opponent would come finish me off while I was at my weakest.

I limped my way out of the street and onto the sidewalk. I leaned against a building for support.

I've got to make it back... I've got to tell someone...

Black spots danced in front of my eyes and I felt myself fall to the ground.