Chapter 1

A.N.- this story is being written. I promise it isn't abandoned. I have re-edited some parts, and have up to chapter 10 written. I will post maybe once a month until it is finished, (unless it is the re-edits then that'll be sporadic at best) and then I'll try and post a tad more frequently. They way things are going, it could be up to 30 chapters, considering the second element is just being met now. I have a plot, just, everything else needs to come together. I got crazy busy, and it won't get much better. I'm pacing myself. Thanks for reading!

~~~

"Hey dad! What is your apartment number again?"

"Dame. For like the third time, 221. Are you coming up the elevator?"

I roll my eyes. "Yes dad." I got into the elevator in pushed the 2 button. I dragged my suitcase behind me. "Coming up now. See you in a minute!" I hang up the phone.

I lean against the elevator wall. I really needed this job. I hated using my dad's position as owner, but whatever works. It's temporary. Just until I get the job at the Hospital.

I was still waiting on a call back from the children's hospital. I really wanted that job. It would pay super well, and my nursing degree would pay off. Until then, I was crashing at my dad's until I got an apartment, and would work at his vet's office. Not as a doctor, but a receptionist. Not what I wanted in life, but a job is a job.

The elevator doors open and I walk down the hallway, watching the numbers. 219, 220. Ah, 221. I really want to put a B next to the number. I don't think dad would ever catch the reference. I have got to get him to watch Sherlock one of these days.

I knock on the door. I hear a thump, followed but a colorful word, and then the door opens. "Hey sweetheart." Dad opens his arms with a wide smile.

"Hey Dad!" I let go of my suitcase and lean into his hug. I hadn't seen him in a few months, or rather since I graduated college. I had been living in my apartment until my lease ended. I decided to move to Chicago in hopes of finding a job at the children's hospital. This particular hospital had saved my life when I got horribly sick as a child with pneumonia. They made sure I got better and made sure I stayed healthy during my stay. Especially this one nurse. She was so kind and caring to me. She really helped feed my dream of being a nurse. I want to make little kids happy when they were hurting. I want to help save lives, especially the little ones.

I walk into his little apartment, if one can call it that. It was very spacious, especially for a single man. It almost seemed void of life except for the random shoes and jackets laying about.

"I set up the spare bedroom for you. Clean sheets and everything." My dad says, breaking away from the hug.

"Awe dad, you do care." I smile and laugh as he rolls his eyes and grabs my suitcase.

"You know you don't have to work every day, right? Belinda is totally fine working 8 hour days."

"Dad, I know. What else am I going to do though? I told her that she can work evenings if I get the morning shift. I'm only working 4 hours anyways. Besides, how hard can that job be? Especially since I am not doing the paperwork after hours, just the setting up appointments and greeting people," I roll my eyes at dad's insistence. He kept saying how I was young and needed to be out partying with friends. I don't think he understands I actually like working. He was probably one of the few adults I have ever met that want to keep their kids at home. After mom left, years ago, he always seemed to want me around.

"Honey, I know. I just want you to enjoy Chicago. Spend time with your friends. Find a boy. Have some fun!" I also think my dad is the only dad encouraging me to get laid. I don't blame him. I haven't had a serious boyfriend since high school, despite how friendly I am.

"We have had this conversation before. I'm not changing my opinion dad. I'll start work next week okay? That way I have all of the weekend including Thursday and Friday. Sound good?"

We walk up the stairs and into a hallway. He opens the door to my room and gives me a peck on the cheek. "Sounds great honey. Do you have anything else that I need to bring up?"

I give him a big grin. "How much do you love me again?"

Dad groans at the tone of my voice. I had lived in the apartment for a couple of years, so I may have had a few things.