Night Two

You take a deep breath as the elevator doors close. This is your second night on the job, and you don't want to mess this up.

You check your watch. The time changes to 12:00 AM. The start of the shift.

"Welcome back to another night of intellectual stimulation, pivotal career choices, and self-reflection on past mistakes," Hand Unit greets. "We're committed to creating a unique and fulfilling work experience. One part of that commitment is ensuring that you don't get tired of the voice that you're hearing right now."

The yellow keypad pops up again. "Using the keypad below, please select a new companion voice. For male, press 1. For female, press 2. For text only, press 3. For other options, press 4."

You approach the keypad and come to a realization; there are no numbers. You sigh and just press a random key. The "error" pops up again.

"It seems you had some trouble with the keypad," Hand Unit says. "I see what you were trying to type, and I will auto correct it for you. Thank you for choosing... Angsty Teen."

You smile and shake your head, losing grip of the handle. The elevator jerks to a stop and you fall on your face. The happy elevator music plays and the lights flicker off. You brush off your clothes.

"The elevator's stopped. You know the routine. Get out now, or whatever. Stay here if you want."

You chuckle as you press the button. The angsty teen, unlike the name situation, is not a regret. You start crawling through the vent. Angsty teen speaks. " So, funny story, a dead body was found in this vent once." You stop crawling, tensing up. A dead body??

Angsty teen sighs. "M'kay, so, not that funny, but, it's a story."

You crawl faster to the Primary Control Module. You get up and speed walk to the left keypad. "Alright, so, let's start with your nightly chores. You should check on Ballora, and make sure she's on her stage, but, whatever."

You chuckle as you turn on the light. This is amusing. Your joy fades as you notice Ballora isn't there, as usual.

However, her shadow is illuminated on the stage instead.

"Huh. I guess Ballora has better things to do. Let's zap her! That should be fun."

You laugh and almost punch the button.

You press the blue button to check if Ballora's there, but it's not working. There's suddenly a garbled voice saying random words. You can barely make them out.

Argumentative.

Standards.

Elevation.

Passive.

Heights.

Those are just random words. What do they mean?

Angsty teen's back all of a sudden. "Let's check on Funtime Foxy, make sure he's ready for showtime tomorrow."

Wait, you didn't make sure Ballora's on her stage. You reluctantly press Funtime Foxy's light button, and it shows an empty stage, with a shadow of the animatronic fox projected on the stage.

Angsty teen has a deeper voice now, almost as if he's glitching. "Great... Great... Great..."

Jesus Christ, you think.

"There seems to have been a problem with the voice synthesizer. Default settings have been restored. Please proceed through the vent ahead of you to Circus Baby's Auditorium."

You're slightly disappointed that Angsty Teen's gone, plus you're a little panicked that you never made sure Ballora or Funtime Foxy were on their stages.