CHAPTER I: Why am I even here?

Ivan’s POV

“Get up or I’ll pour this hot soup all over your face… You want to become a useless pile of unnecessary salt like the rest of the world?” 

Oh- that’s my mom, every day to her; the world is a useless pile of something. She likes to nag and act tough but she doesn’t really have the courage to do her tough talk on me. I do understand her situation though, why she does that- I mean, having a one night stand and getting pregnant? Who likes that? But despite her cranky attitude towards the world, and everything around it including me, she is still the best mom for me.

“Okay, you won’t get down from there? I will pour this soup on you, before it gets cold…”

Well, I need to get up, even though I hated it. Another boring day will come and I know it, I crank the morning up a little by playing very loud music, signifying my mom that I am awake. I do my routine and after, I turned off the music. It’s like turning off my alternative world and entering the real boring world again.

“Finally! Come on, eat up.”

My mom said with an irritated, tired but loving voice. I sat on the table saying

“On ancient times, people would have power because of the salt they hold on their kingdom- so it isn’t unnecessary”

I got her thinking there! Did I win this morning? ;

“This kid- You’re even smart enough to say that?! Yet, If I ever see an “f” marked test paper hiding around somewhere in the house, no warped tour for you mister!”

Uh-oh she saw my physics test. I knew pretty well that I hid it in a place where she won’t find.

“I saw you sneaking, hiding it somewhere that you think I wouldn’t lay my hands on.”

Okay, I am amazed. Time to go, I have a feeling she would find my other tests so I need to hand the ones I failed yesterday to my buddies, where she would never find them.

“Also, I saw your English and Math tests on your bag yesterday, it’s all “F” so don’t bother finding them, find your brain instead maybe you left it someplace where you fell on your skateboard.”;

“Okay Mom, Bye!” I said when a low voice as I left the house. 

I never really liked laying my hands on a book, a notebook and anything that has the word “book” on it- instead my mac and also maybe Facebook. All I ever want to lay my hands on is my iPod, earphones and Rock and Roll- that’s it. I reached school with my motorcycle and my ears blasting from the song I listened to while I am on my way.

As I was walking on the hallways,

Oh, Shit! Mr. Whales! If he sees me with my earphones on again he would send me a detention notice again.

Oh shit,

oh shit,

he is really close,

I can’t do anything now…

He approached me and said” Be at my class today EARLY.” Then he walked away,

“Whoa! That’s it?” No detention note?”

My best friend Vic came to me carrying his skateboard. “I got one today for doing rides on the hallway”;

“Good for you”

I said with a smirk as I walked away keeping words on seeing him at lunch. Mr. Whale’s class doesn’t start until after English and math.

Yea, he is our Physics teacher who never failed to give me a failed mark on every aspect of his subject. Entering the English room, I see old boring people whom I never bother to talk to- I don’t even know the names of some of them. I really hate the fact that I still go to school when all I wanted was to write and sing songs with my instruments- MUSICAL instruments. I never enjoyed my life in school, so I have decided; I am not going to college, definitely not. I mean, I just saw the goodness of life when my mom bought me a guitar for my 7th birthday, then everything followed, I learned every single instrument that a typical band has. Yea, this is how I usually drift off class while listening to my teacher- thinking why I shouldn’t go to college while my teacher keeps talking about how Shakespeare and Einstein were alike. Then, off to the Math room, numbers and letters with strange symbols, COMBINED?! That is really annoying! And I hated it. It was like World War in my head, besides- our teacher here stinks- literally, it’s like she doesn’t take a bath and like she doesn’t have a comb on her house. She looks like a hobo. This stuff makes me itch. The bell rang; I drifted again while thinking if our math teacher has a comb on her house, I’ll go find that out. Its break time before Physics.

I placed my earphones where they belong forever- in my ear, I walked through people on my way to the cafeteria. I usually feel like people may be talking to me while I walk, but I brush them off- it’s because maybe it’s just my feeling and I probably don’t like to listen anyway. Vic came, happily, he is my classmate at Physics, so he sometime lets me copy assignments given to us- he’s somehow passing tests on all subjects cause he’s a smart person – he stopped being one when we hang out, that was about when we were 13 when our parents bought us our first skateboards.

We ate our usual as Physics came to its way.

What is it that Mr. Whales is going to give me today?

I don’t know- I expect the worst.

“Let’s hit class”,

“I got enough sleep from earlier at Math”

He added jokingly.

Physics it is.