Fa Zhou and Jian Are Called Out To War

One of the things Jian prided himself on was being able to sense things coming his way, and it saved him many times before. He was disappointed in himself for not seeing the Emperor's counsel on his horse, arriving in their neighbourhood, surrounded by many imperial guards. Everyone left their homes to approach the commotion. 

Mulan's fingers gripped onto her brother's sleeve nervously. At times of war like this, there was only one reason for Chi Fu to come to their small neighbourhood. 

And it frightened her knowing she might lose her only brother. 

Jian took a deep breath, and leaned down to kiss the crown of her head. "Stay inside."

"But Jian--"

"Mulan, listen to your brother," Fa Li interjected, ushering her further from the house doors. As Jian stood by his father, he saw from the corner of his eye Grandmother Fa gesturing to the wall roofs. 

Chi Fu pompously sneered at the civilians, announcing he had brought a proclamation from the Imperial City. "The Huns have invaded China!"

The people gasped. Mothers hurried the children inside, but the men remained behind. "By order of the Emperor," Chi Fu continued. "One man from every family must serve the Imperial Army!"

He paused momentarily to bring an Imperial scroll from his satchel. "The Xiao family!" Mr Xiao, a simple rice farmer of the village, stepped forward and placed his fist to his palm, bowing as he accepted his summon. "The Yi family!"

As the old, grey haired Mr Yi began to move forward, his son, the local fisherman, stopped him and accepted the summon, declaring his intention to serve the Emperor in his father's place. Mulan swallowed as she watched the entire ordeal.

Chi Fu turned to his scroll once more, his face filled with slight surprise, as he called out. "The Fa family!"

Mulan gasped as Jian stepped forward. "I will serve in my father's place."

Chi Fu watched Jian skeptically, before scoffing. "Of course Fa Zhou would deliver his child."

Jian grit his teeth. "Excuse me?"

"Your father may have once served the Emperor bravely, but seeing as he is well enough to go himself, why don't you provide us two men."

The other families reeled back in horror. They were usually demanded only one man for every family. The fact that the Honourable Fa family was asked for two made them fear for their family. But Fa Zhou accepted his fate, as Imperial Orders were an obligation to fulfill. Passing his cane to Fa Li, he straightened his posture and slowly marched to Jian's side. "I am ready to serve the Emperor."

 "No!" Mulan cried out, jumping from the wall roof and rushing next to her brother. "Please sir! My father has already fought bravely--"

"SILENCE!" Chi Fu shouted, scowling at Mulan. "You would do well to teach your daughter to hold her tongue in a man's presence."

Fa Zhou looked away, face wrinkling into a tight frown. "Mulan...you dishonour me."

Both Jian and Mulan were aghast. Through everything Mulan's done, their father had never said anything of the sort before. Grandmother Fa approached and led Mulan away just as she was close to tears. 

"Father, please," Jian whispered. "This is unreasonable. It is unfair to single out our family simply because he desires to."

"Jian, this is my decision. If I die, I die with honour."

Jian held his breath, and looked away, taking his summon. "Yes father."