Chapter One

She stood there and pulled her hair out of the clips in front of the king.

"You traitor!" He yelled standing up off of his throne. "A female in my fighting ranks? Unforgivable."

"I did better than anyone else in those ranks." She spoke quietly. "Your Highness."

"It is unforgivable, you're showing the other kingdom's that I'm weak. No one sends a woman to war." He spoke lowly. He took steps forwards and pulled his own sword from the side of his waist and took the steps down. "Kneel before your King."

She dropped to her knees in defeat. Her eyes closing.

"Promise me one thing, your highness." She spoke quietly.

"What is it?" He asked lowly, they were once close childhood friends, but he couldn't show weakness.

"Promise me my family won't be punished for my actions, my little sister-" She cut herself off, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"I promise. They'll be taken care of properly." He spoke quietly. "I wish you hadn't done this, I'm sorry Helena."

Her trained ears heard the blade slice the air before-

She shot up breathing heavily, coated in a thin sheet of sweat. Her hands raised to her long hair as her knees pulled to her chest.

"Calm down." Her voice seemed weak in the small apartment. "That's in the past now- a long long time ago."

She ran her hands through her hair and looked over at the digital clock on the bedside table. It read five am, so she peeled the covers off of her and she headed to the shower. She spent an hour in the shower, calming her nerves. On edge from the nightmare, the oh so real nightmare, something she had to re-live every time she closed her eyes.

She dried off and pulled on the pencil skirt and the button up blouse before applying minimal makeup. She pulled her hair up into a high ponytail, all neat to go to work. She headed downstairs and grabbed her work bag and some money before making her way to the hallway, grabbing the car keys off the peg and slid her shoes on.

--

She sighed in frustration as she walked the street to the coffee shop, her boss was so demanding. She entered the quiet shop, the bell the only sound that you could hear. She pulled her blazer around her tighter feeling self conscious as everyone's stares were on her. She knew that maybe she didn't quite fit in with today's society. But she tried. After all she was born long before all of these people-

"Miss, what would you like?" A voice broke her from her thoughts. She jumped slightly.

"I- Just a low fat decaf latte." She mumbled.

"Ah you're the new coffee runner I see." The male chuckled. "That's going to be-"

"I already know." She slid over the right amount of money and smiles at he male who watched her in fascination.

He was undoubtedly stunned by this female who had walked into the coffee shop he worked at, her exterior seemed shy but her attitude was fierce. He smiled and prepared the coffee for her.

"Here you go." He smiled handing her the cup. She took it from him and their fingertips brushed. His hand moved away from hers causing the coffee to drop. His eyes widened and she quickly brought her hand away from her bag on her side and caught the bottom cup with such preciseness and speed-

She smiled brightly at him. "I must be going now, thank you." She left the shop, leaving the male in confusion.

What on earth just happened?