Chapter 4

As they reached the bottom of the stairs Charles went around the largish circular room lighting the torches mounted on the wall. Once all the touches were lit Sidney could see that the room was comfortable looking, not to big, not to small and surprisingly clean for a room let deserted for a million years. The overstuffed armchair didn't look rotted at all. In fact, when Sidney sat on it she literally sank into it. Like the library, bookshelves lined the wall although the books that adorned these shelves were all leather bound and heavy looking and probably contained words that an English major didn't know.

Raven ran her finger along the spines of the books and Charles was gazing at the hidden room like an excited puppy. Finlay, Raven spoke. "If there was ever any doubt about who you are it's gone now."

Sidney frowned at the floor. "But I don't want to be queen of anything. I want to go to school, and have sleepovers, and be normal!"

Raven looked at her friend sadly. "Sidney, we need help and you're the only one who can."

"But I don't know how, or even where to start."

"Have you considered the crown of bones?" The girls looked up in surprise. They had forgotten Charles was there. "You have to find the crown before Sidney can take her place as Queen. Trouble is, it disappeared with the original Queen."

"And you have no idea where?"

"I'm sure there's a clue somewhere in here I'm just not sure-"

"Crown of bones." Sidney's voice was small but clear. They all jumped as a large book fell from a shelf on the other side of the room. Sidney picked it up. "The crown of bones was hidden by the original Queen of the Dead just before she disappeared. Legend says that It can bestow the powers of Death to any wearer, but on the head of the Queen it's powers are increased hundred fold."

"Interesting," Raven said. "But where is it?"

Sidney flipped through the book looking for a clue. "All it says is 'For the hidden treasure, The roof of the world's a key, Yama's river shall lead the way to victory.' Why the riddle?"

"To prevent someone other than you from waltzing in and taking it. The roof of the world is obviously the Himalayas, But what's Yama's river?"

"My dear Raven," Charles cut in. "I would think that you of all people should know what that is." Upon seeing their looks of confusion he went on, "The River

a river in the Himalayas. Legend has it that if you bathe in it Yama, the Buddhist god of death with grant you benediction upon your demise."

Raven and Sidney exchanged glances. It wasn't much, but it was all they had to go on. "Let's get a blessing from your dad."