Chapter Seven: Funerals and Obito

Almost 300 reads! I'm so happy! Thanks so much, all of you! This chapter will be sorta long. Remember to comment and vote.

Recap:

Bird followed behind me as backup and the sight we were greeted with was nothing anyone could expect. There lay the Hokage, dead with a smile on his face. I was numb to the fact many Jounin and fellow ANBU were surrounding him, or to the fact I didn't have my mask on, as a single defiant tear ran down my face.

Chapter Seven: Funerals and Punishments

I stared at the mirror, my eyes reflecting the sadness I felt. Smoothing down the black dress I was wearing, a gentle knock came from my bedroom door. Opening it, I followed Sasuke outside where we would meet his team mates. As we walked, I noticed Naruto wasn't his usual cheery self and Sakura wasn't fussing over my brother.

Elbowing Naruto gently, he looked up suprised, and I made an effort to smile comfortingly at him. "I must be crazy," I thought. My emotionless mask was slowly crumbling and, as a result, I was neglecting my duty as an ANBU. Realizing the full extent of what I had done, I sprinted away, ashamed. I was growing soft, even after the promise I made all those years ago.

I stood in front of the entrance to the Uchiha compounds, clenching my fists tightly. Rain poured from the sky and thunder rumbled, yet my four year old self did not move. Glaring determindly at the Uchiha crest that marked the entrance, I ripped the caution tape off, and kneeled in prayer. "Mother, Father. I will avenge your deaths by becoming stronger than Sasuke and Itachi. Itachi will be killed, only then will you both be able to live in peace." Eyes flickering, my newly-gained Sharingan filled with pain. "I will restore the clan."

My anger grew as I continued to run. I couldn't fufill my promise by befriending Naruto. The ANBU motto echoed in my head, the memories of Danzo's drills still fresh in my mind. "We are the shinobi who support the giant tree known as Konoha." Subconsciously, I had made my way to the KIA stone, where the names of ninja who had died in the Great Shinobi War were engraved. I stood beside Kakashi, looking to see if we were alone.

My small frame barely reached his elbows, and I awkwardly glanced up at him. "Thanks for keeping an eye on Sasuke, Kakashi-senpai." He smiled and ruffled my hair and I stiffened. I wasn't used to human contact, keeping to myself all these years. Sensing my discomfort, he removed his hand and stared at the stone sadly. Following his line of vision, I found he was staring at a name. "Obito, huh?" I asked and he nodded.

"He was on my team with the Fourth Hokage as our Sensei. I've always wondered how he came from the Uchiha clan." I looked at him in curiosity. "Why?" I asked and he sighed. "He was against war and leaving his comrades behind." I didn't know whether to be pleased or insulted and settled for being silent. A breeze gently blew and Kakashi sighed again.

"The funeral's already started. I suppose we should go." Putting my mask on, I nodded goodbye and walked towards the funeral. Once I arrived, I leaned against a tree, watching the Genin place flowers on his memorial. I saluted the old mans coffin and vanished, Rat said that Danzo wished to see me.

 It's been said the eyes are the window to the soul, and in this case, my soul was grieving. Banishing those thoughts from my subconscious, my eyes hardened like ice and the window to my soul was once again locked.