Chapter 1 - Ari kills a cactus

I awoke to the sound of an earsplitting shriek.

"Alright alright Ari, I'll go feed you now."

I rolled over in my bed to face my pet bird perching on one of his swings, his head slightly tilted while nagging me to wake up.

He flew towards the door of his cage and rattled at the lock, indicating he wants my attention.

"Good morning to you too, Ari," I said, while rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

It's been a few months since Ari started living with me, but I couldn't imagine a day without him. Mainly because he would be my alarm clock for the day, but also becaue he has become part of the family now.

After doing my usual morning routine, I settled down behind my computer after watering my cacti.

Ari, who was now out of his cage and well fed, hopped over to my keyboard and started playing with a bird toy next to it.

He also knocked over one of my potted cacti.

"There we go again," I mumbled, a smile appearing on my face. Ari never fails at making me laugh. That's one of the many reasons why I love him so much.

I booted up the computer and before finishing my latest animation, I decided to check the comments on Youtube.

I saw the usual comments fishing for likes, the usual fake Jaidens and various other spam. However, the comment sections consisted mostly out of people shipping me and theodd1sout (aka James).

Seeing comments always lifts up my spirits, but somehow the shipping comments have always bothered me.

It's not like the commenters meant any harm, I know full well why people think we could be a good couple together.

But that's not how relationships work. He's just one of the best friends I have, that's all. Or so I wanted to believe.

Without being fully aware of it, I smiled of the thought of James. He's a good guy and doesn't look all that bad. I'd never see him as anything more than a friend, but these comments are getting on my nerves lately. It was probably nothing I should worry about. Instead, I should worry about the amount of work I still had to do.

Just when I picked up my drawing stylus, my cell phone rang. Disrupted from my thoughts I saw that James was calling me.

"Hi, Jaiden speaking."

"Hey what's up?"

"I'm good, thanks. So what's the meaning behind this sudden call?"

"Heh, I just thought to wake you up on time, in case you'd oversleep."

"No worries, Ari has been my alarm clock lately."

I looked over to Ari, who was sitting right in front of me chewing on a piece of apple. He looked up and shrieked happily while flapping his wings.

"Ah, so I hear. So tell me, what are you up to today?"

"Nothing much, I was planning to finish my animation for today."

I heard him chuckle.

"You're always on schedule, eh? Now that you mention it, I still have to start with my video. So have you already realized what day today is?"

"Uhm... it's probably someone's birthday today."

"Very true, but a certain Youtuber here has hit a very big milestone..."

"Oh yeah, you're at 3.5 million now, aren't you?"

"No silly, I'm talking about you!"

I stuttered, "M-me?"

"Yeah, haven't you noticed you're at 2 million right now?"

I looked over to my computer and indeed, the sub count was just over 2 million.

"Wow you're right, I didn't even notice!"

"Well, then this is the perfect opportunity to celebrate! I've got something for you, so go to my house as soon as you can."

This was certainly unprecidented. "O-okay, I'll be there in a sec. I'm just going to record this end card and upload the video, then I'll be on my way."

"Great. See you later."

With that, he ended the call. I landed on my bed, letting out a huge sigh. 2 million subscribers. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that 2 million people would actually like my silly content.

Ari flew across the room and landed on my shoulder. He then proceeded to poop on me.

Ugh. This is going to be a long day.