Chapter 3: Small Talk and White House Cameras

A/N: I'm glad you guys are enjoying this story so far! I love you all so much! This chapter is written in Olivia's point of view.

I hadn't been able to focus since I'd kissed Mellie. That was such a reckless thing to do! I didn't ask, or even tell her how I felt beforehand. I didn't even know if she'd felt the same way about me. What if she doesn't feel the same way about me? I hadn't had the chance to ask her considering I'd been in meetings all week regarding foreign policy.

I had to talk to her about the new bill we needed to pass. It would be the first time I'd talked to her since my alcohol overdose and apartment scandal. I took a few deep breaths before entering the Oval Office.

I opened the door to see Mellie and Senator Reynolds oddly close. He was an attractive, younger man, closer to Mellie's age than mine though. A hot, panicky feeling bubbled through me like my blood was boiling. "Oh! Hello Miss Pope," Mellie took a step back as she spoke.

"Hello President Grant," my words were shakier than normal, "we need to get working on the bill immedia-" a loud ring cut me off. It was Senator Reynold's phone.

"I have to take this," the Senator said as Mellie and I both glared him down. "I wouldn't take it if it wasn't incredibly important."

"This is the President, you know. She should be your number one priority," my tone was shifting. "Sir," I added, just for good measure.

"Like I said," the Senator persuaded, "I wouldn't take it if it wasn't important Miss Pope."

"Fine, but make it quick!" Mellie said sharply. The Senator shuffled out of the room immediately. Once he had shut the door, Mellie came and took me by the hand right away. She pulled me over by the window, where the White House cameras couldn't reach.

"Mellie, we can't be-"

"Shhh," she put her index finger to my lips and just stared. My god, I'm never going to get over those smoky blue eyes, a storm forever brewing behind them. I began to get impatient with her, was she going to make a move?

"Oh Mellie, just kiss me already." She closed those beautiful eyes of hers and pulled me in my the waist. I reached for her face and kissed her for barely more than 15 seconds until we heard the door handle click. Mellie and I both looked out the window and pretended to be having a conversation.

"Sorry I took so long, I didn't mean to waste you ladies' time."