Part I-Chapter 5

Chapter 5

She threw her head back and laughed at something her friend said. Even from where I sat outside in the cold night air, I could hear the sweetness of the sound. The artificial light of the quiet cafe she was in was nothing compared to the radiance she emitted. Her brown hair shone, looking as soft as silk. I longed to run my fingers through it, but knew that I could never get that close to her again. 

Her and her friend gulped down the last of their coffees and left, giggling together like a pair or teenagers. They sauntered down the street, chatting amiably with each other. 

"Bye Lily!" Alyssa called when they got to their cars, which were parked right next to each other about a block away.
"Bye Lissy!" Lily said, hugging her friend tightly before driving off. 

Using vampire speed, I followed Alyssa as she drove, revelling in the feeling of the night air whipping through my hair. I tracked her all the way back to her apartment, where I waited outside the building in the park, listening to her rustle around inside. The sound of meaningless drivel from a TV set filled my ears. 

It had been this way for a few days now. Much to my surprise, I found the brunette beauty invading my thoughts constantly. At first, I thought nothing of it. But then when I unconsciously found myself outside her flat a few nights ago, I knew that I had gotten more attached than was healthy. Even though she hadn't spoken a single word to me, she was in my mind and in my heart. It was too late to go back now.

That was why I couldn't force myself to leave. Alyssa was here. It would be wrong to be anywhere she was not.  

Tuning out the background noises of cars and distant chatter was simple enough. It was hard to focus on anything but her. I inhaled deeply, filtering out the smell of exhaust fumes and the surrounding flowers and focusing only on her hint of roses that teased my nostrils. 

God, what the hell was I doing? Lurking outside her flat like some crazy stalker. And yet I couldn't seem to leave her be. Even if I couldn't be a part of her life, I had to watch her live it. 

Her soft, even breaths slowly drifted to my ears and I let out a little sigh. Getting up from the park bench, I stretched, stiff from sitting still for so long. It had to be around midnight now, and I'd been sitting on the bench for at least three hours. 

Even though I'd been watching her all evening, I still didn't want to leave. It was difficult to put into words, this attraction, this pull, I felt for her. All I knew was that I had to be near her. Whether it was a good idea or not. 

As I began the slow walk home, my thoughts were consumed with Alyssa. Her laugh. Her smile. The sweet, lilting tones of her voice. I almost didn't notice the footsteps tailing me. Almost. 

They weren't trying to be discreet, whoever they were. Tap. Tap. Tap. The footfalls were steady and sounded fairly close. Risking a glance behind me, I saw a large, bulking man, about a few inches taller than I was. 

I picked up the pace, walking at a half jog. My stalker was obviously a vampire. You could tell by the quick, jerky movements of his walk, however fleeting the look. It was something that most vampires had, at least as far as I could tell.