Sophie's Sixteenth Revisited

This is a scene from We Always Attract that I edited out because it wasn't really necessary and it would have made chapter 17 too long

"Hey Sophie" Jay chirped, plonking himself down on the sofa next to me with his laptop in his hands, "I was uploading some stuff I'd filmed on your mate's camera and I found a couple of interesting videos"

I looked up at him nervously, very unsure of where this was going.

"But I think this one" he began with a smirk as he opened up the laptop lid, "was my favourite"

He tapped a button on the keyboard and the screen lit up. He clicked on the play button in the middle of the screen.

The screen turns blue and some white writing popped up saying Sophie's 16th birthday! Then the writing faded and the words On the train... appeared.

Then an image of a sixteen-year-old me and Nathan sat on a train appeared and then the video started to play. It took me a moment to remember, before I realised it was the one from my birthday when we all went to Thorpe park and Chloe was constantly filming our day out.

"I don't like that camera" I mutter.

"Oh and I bought you this so everyone knows it's your birthday"" someone behind the camera that sounds exactly like Chloe says, before an arm appears and hands me a big pink 'Happy 16th birthday badge.

"Oh God no" I groaned, "Jay, turn it off"

He's just laughed, but made no attempt to stop the video.

"Thanks Chlo" I chuckle, pinning the badge to my jumper.

"What did you get for your birthday, Soph?" Chloe asks me.

"I got a new guitar" I smile.

"Ooh, you should have brought it with you"

Me and Nathan stare at the camera blankly.

I took a moment to appreciate how young we both looked. Nathan's hair looked so long and messy compared to how it was now, which made me smile.

"Why would I bring a guitar to a theme park?"

"So we could have a had a sing-song whilst we're queuing for rides" she says, as though I should have thought of it.

"I don't think that's very practical, Chloe, here, give me the camera" we hear Gabby say, before the camera ends up in her hands. We get a view of the train and then a zoom in on Jack's face as he starts posing and pouting at the camera.

"Do I look like a model yet, Gabs?" He asks.

"Not quite" she replies, "but don't worry, you'll take after your brother one day"

Jack's face drops and he gives her a deadpanned look whilst Gabby giggles at him.

"That wasn't funny"

"It wasn't a joke" The smirk is clear in her voice as she turns the camera back to me and Nathan. His head is resting on my shoulder whilst my head is resting against his.

A lump formed in my throat at the sight of us.

"Aw, look at the happy couple" Chloe coos. My eyes snap up to the camera..

"You know, Soph" Gabby says "now you're both sixteen, you and Nathan can have sexytime"

I stare at her.

"...Legally" I added, "we can legally have sexytime"

"Yes, legally, Jack, is it legal to do that on a golf course?"