Chapter Three- Listening to an Argument

[added march 4, 2015]
-I've added more media!!
I've castes Britney as.........
Ashley Benson!
I thought of her right away because of PPL <3 (yeah Britney is supposed to have green eyes and Ashley has blue but whatever!)

*** *** *** *** ***

Chapter Three-Listening to an Argument

I hold my hand far away from my face and examine my work. My nails are now transformed into what I like call "a modern day masterpiece". They are now deep purple with a sliver stripe running from the bottom corner to the opposite top corner. What a nice color combination.

With wet nails, I carefully take out my phone and look at the time.

5:24.

I successfully finished everything from homework to chores to painting my nails in record time. Now it was time to pop my earbuds in and relax while the paint dries.

Time ticks on and various songs play. My iPhone is on shuffle so it can go from a gross girly pop song I was into a while ago to a rock song with killer guitar and drum solos. The variation is quite interesting. I close my eyes and feel myself start to slip into sleep.

Then, violently, I am awaken by a phone call pulsing in my ears. Was now really a good time to call me? I look at the caller. Kevin. I answer my own question with a wide eyed most definitely.

I wait until the third ring to answer it. I don't want to appear desperate.

"Hello?" I say casually.

Nothing. No response. But I know I hear something in the background. I turn up the speaker and try to listen.

It's shouting. Who's that?

"She has got you wrapped around her little finger and you either don't see it or don't care." That was Britney. And this comment was said very bitterly. She seems to be yelling and judging by the fact I'm hearing this from Kevin's call, it must be at him.

I was pocket dialed and I'm listening in to an argument. Im horrible.

But who is she referring to? Could she be referring to Tiffany? I dismiss the idea because she seemed overjoyed at that thought last time I checked. Is this another girl I have to worry about?

"At least I'm not jealous of her." Kevin says defensively. Now I'm utterly confused.

Britney was not confused however. She gasps and I imagine she contorts her face in anger. That's an almost permanent feature on her face. "What are you talking about?" she sputters out.

"Oh please. It's way too obvious to play dumb." Kevin spits out. "Why else would you constantly try to break her down? Just give it up. He will never look at you the way he looks at her. He sees her for, not only her beauty, but for her depth." He pauses for a bit.

Britney takes this opportunity. "Don't you dare compare me with Jamie Love. Ever."

What? What is going on?

"I see the way you stare at Blake. The way you fling yourself at him just so he can notice you. But he will only ever notice her." He says this almost sadly. It would help if I could see the looks on their faces to help get some better context.

But Blake? What has this got to do with Blake? He doesn't like me. Does he?

Blake has been my best friend since we were 'wee' little ones. My parents actually went to high school together with his parents. Ever since I can remember, our parents have basically arranged our marriage. Dress, colors, food, everything. I never took them seriously and assumed he did the same. He became my closest friend. But our friendship also became the biggest friend zone.

Looking for signs of him liking me were actually easier than I imagined. He was always a gentleman, always sweet, and sometimes he could have the most intense stares.

But Britney liking him?

"Whatever. Fine. I do like him. A lot. But we still aren't through talking about you!" Britney snarls.

Kevin sighs. "What's there to talk about?"

She laughs mockingly. "You say I'm playing dumb? You say I stare at Blake and fling myself at him? Speak for yourself. No one will dare lay a finger on her. Why? Because you protect her like she's a defenseless puppy. You're obsessed with her. Admit it. And the only thing that makes it worse is you are too chicken to even say any of this to her. You two both make me sick." I hear stomps and a door slam.

I can only imagine what the scene looked like. Both of them yelling and giving each other death glares, snarls and admitted secrets, and finally ending with Britney storming away leaving Kevin standing there. He's probably gaping at the whole thing.

He sighs. This conversation is obviously over. I hear some fumbling. Almost as if he's reaching for his phone.

CRAP! What do I do what do I do?!?

While my brain decides to stop working and doesn't tell me to do anything- including breathing- I hear Kevin take a deep breath. He must have seen my call on the screen. He mumbles words I cannot hear but I assume are not good.

"Jamie?" I hear him croak. I'm sure he's just as scared as I am right now.

If I wasn't breathing before this, I'm definitely not breathing now.

"Hello?" he asks again to be sure. After a few seconds of me not replying he exhales. "Thank God" he sighs and hangs up.

I'm left sitting in my room clutching my phone extremely tightly. I'm honestly on the verge of squeezing it so hard it might crack the screen.

Breath, Jamie. Count to ten.

This was not the average pocket dial. This was a major round of TMI. Britney's crush on Blake, Blake's crush on me, and Kevin.

What was I suppose to do now? All I know is now, I have a big choice to make.

Will I pretend I never heard anything?Will I torment Britney by making her jealous even more so? Or will I finally gain the courage to take a chance for once?

*** *** *** *** ***

A/N:

I hope you liked this chapter! It's short but I didn't want any subjects coming after it because it would take away the element of this-may-actually-get-interesting. It's up to you though how you feel about it. I kind of expected you to be able to predict what was going to happen since you read the description.

Does the description give too much away? If it does comment right here!

Dw. I'm going to talk about Jennifer soon. I won't forget about her part in this story. I just need to develop it now.

Here's something new I'm going to do in the authors note: I'm going to recommend a Wattpad story every chapter.

Suggested reads:

Riley & the Boys

Question Time!

What do you honestly think so far?

Did you expect Britney to be jealous of her?

Are you curious about who Blake is?

Are you happy about how this chapter ended?

Which of those options do you think she will choose? (Which would you choose?)

Alright. I'm done. Don't forget to comment, vote, add to library/reading list, or whatever.

~Emily :)