1

Summer. *sigh More like Bummer.

It' s the seaon when teens go wild at beach parties. Drink coke  'til they drop. Chitchat until they run out of saliva. Play computer games until their eyes pop out.

While typical teens do those, I' m stuck here in the streets of Ayanna, looking for a summer job that could get me through the season until classes start finally.

---

"Do you have experience? " the man behind the counter asked me.

"No, but I- -"

"Then I am sorry. We cannot hire you." and then hands me the bio data I handed him earlier.

"Sir, can you please reconsider? I assure you, I can easily learn the jobs you' ll give me." I said with pleading puppy eyes.

"Sorry, miss. I was given strict instructions that only those experienced at waiting tables can be accepted."

Darn.

I plastered my most pitiful and dismayed look and looked at him. Maybe he' ll take pity on me and change his mind. I hope he sees how much I need the job.

"I' m sorry, kid. "

Hopelessly, I heaved a sigh and turned my back to him. This was the 5th building which has a "WANTED:.." sign that I' ve gone into and still, my luck has not improved. :"(

I wanna cry.

"Ack! Hey kid! " He called back.

As fast as a blink, I returned to the counter with hopeful eyes.

"Yes? "

"I may not have the power to let you work here..." I could not help but feel really sad at his words.

"...but I know a place where you could tutor. I saw your grades in your biodata and they were pretty amazing."

"Tutoring, huh? Why didn' t I think of that? Ugh, stupid! " I whispered the last part and mentally scolded myself.

Then i remembered why i haven' t thought of it: "Sir, it' s summer. Who, of the right mind, would want to study at this season? "

"Have you heard of Sir Clarence dela Fuente? "

"Uhm, sorry but no."

"WHAT? ! You don' t know the richest man on the planet, next to Bill Gates? "

I gave him a questioning look. Why would the richest man second to Bill Gates live here in the Philippines?

"Okay, I' m kidding. He' s just really rich. In fact, he IS the Bill Gates of the country. But only his name is known to the public. no one has really seen him in person."

"O- kay. So what about the job? Why' d he want a tutor? He' s already pretty rich, right? "

"Yeah but...I don' t know what exactly he wants the tutor for but one thing is for sure: he does not trust popular tutors because he believes they will only be blinded by his richness and will tell the media about him. It was something about keeping his image alive- his mysterious demeanor and the likes, so he only chose specific people to know. "

"How' d you know, then? " I' m just really curious about this person. I' m also curious as to whether this Mister who looks about 40 years old is telling the truth or just pulling a prank on me.

"Uhh, let' s just say that I' m a very close friend to the family."

Uh- huh. Should I give it a shot? Oh well, I don' t have a single penny to lose anyway, mind as well try to get some and try this one.

"Can I apply for the job? "

"I'm sure you can. Just go to this address."

He hands me a piece of paper with the address on it.

"Thank you."

I just hope this isn' t a joke.

Mia Dimagiba on the right. :3