chapter one

She was gone- just like that. He saw her in Frank's office, and that was the last he ever saw of her. Sam wondered why she was there. Was she going under again? He went to go talk to Frank, but he noticed he was gone as well. He found Noelle, but she only gave him an answer which he had already assumed- special assignment. For some reason, he didn't buy it. He was determined to find out.

That night he was at the Penny for Oliver's birthday. He looked over at the rookies' table expecting to see Andy's doe eyes and her laughing at something Dov or Chris had said, but all there was was an empty seat. He leaned over to Oliver.

He sat at the bar beside Oliver. He constantly glanced over to the rookies' table, and each time he expected to see her laughing at Dov or Chris. He expected to see her look back at him with her doe-eyes and mouth "let's go" before biting her lip. He raised his glass to his lips.

"Where do you think she is?" He looked over at Oliver.

"I don't know, brother," Oliver replied. He set the glass back on the bar, and ordered another drink.

"I feel odd about this. Something is just off," Sam admitted. Again, he looked around the room hoping she would walk through the doors.

He looked to the door, and Frank walked in and kissed Noelle. Sam picked up his glass and walked over to Frank.

"Where is she?"

"She wanted me to give this to you," Frank said. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a folded envelope.

Sam looked confused. He opened it and unfolded the paper.

Sam,
First of all, I wanted to say how sorry I am that it has to be like this. If I could stay, I would. Newport made me, and he sent his guys after me. I know you're probably thinking that I should have stayed and let you protect me. Sam, if this were any other man after me, I would, but this is Dalton Newport who is after me. He's too dangerous, Sam. I don't know how long I'll be gone. I just hope I can be back soon. Please, tell my dad that I've gone UC or something. Make sure he's okay, please. Tell Trac to give Leo a big hug for me. I know you will want to come after me, but you can't. As much as I want you to, don't. I love you, Sam. I always will.
Love,
your doe-eyed rookie

Sam chucked the glass against the wall. Oliver grabbed Sam's jacket from the chair walked to his side.

"Come on, Sammy. Let's get you home."

"She's gone."

Sam sat on the edge of his bed. Her scent still lingered in his room and on her pillow. He reread the letter for what felt like the hundredth time. He looked down at the diamond ring he fiddled with in his hand. Her timing could not be any more perfect. He pulled out his phone and called the restaurant to cancel his reservation for the next night. Apparently fate had other plans. He wished so badly that he could hold her again and kiss her.

Six months had passed. Sam still had never moved her clothes and things. They all sat in their drawer or laid where she last left them. Sam rarely came around the Penny anymore. He sometimes would show up late to parade in the mornings. He always rode alone on shifts. The only time he ever went out was on poker nights. He missed her more and more every day. He had no clue when he would ever or if he would ever see her again.

Andy waddled into her apartment and plopped into her chair. She had easily began to adjust here. She had found a job with a steady income to support her self and this baby.
She desperately missed her life back in Toronto. It was almost perfect her, but she desperately missed Sam.