chapter three

"Hello?"

"It's me. They found me. Well, Scott did. He's  here. He had a gun. I fought him off, but he'll be back soon."

"You need get out and relocate. How about out West?"

"No! Frank, I want to come home."

"You can't. It's too dangerous."

"Then keep it on the low. No one will know. I just need to be in Toronto."

"Fine. I can't tell him though. You can't either."

"I won't," she paused. "How is he?" It pained her to think of being that close to him and not being with him.

"He looks likes hell," both ends of the line remained quiet for a moment, "I'll meet you in Erie?"

"Sounds good," Andy said as she hung up. She drove home and packed as much as she could. She threw as much as she could into her one bag. She grabbed her videos, her camera, phone charger, passport, Samantha's dolls and notepads, and Samantha's passport. She went into Samantha's room and packed up as much as possible. She booked four tickets for two flights. One was to arrive in Toronto and one in Erie.  She called Rachel.

"Hey, can you meet me in twenty minutes?"

"Where?"

"The girls' favorite spot."

"Ava, is everything all right?"

"I'll explain when we meet."

Twenty minutes later, Andy pulled up beside Rachel's silver Camry. She got out and walked around to the driver's side of Rachel's car. She opened the door to let Samantha out. Rachel climbed out and stood behind the opened door.

"Sammy, sweetheart, I need you to tell Catherine goodbye," Andy said. Rachel looked at Andy/

"Why, Mommy?" She looked up at her mother.

"We're going on a long trip. I'll tell you about it in the car," Andy said as she nodded to Samantha. She climbed across the back seat to hug her best friend.

"Bye Samantha! Have fun on your trip!" Catherine said. Samantha crawled out and climbed into their own car. 

"Thank you, Rach, for everything," Andy said. Tears fell down her cheeks. Rachel had been there since the beginning. They had met when Andy first showed up. Their due dates weren't too far apart. They were best friends just as their daughters were.

"You're not going on a trip, are you?"

"No, I'm going home to Toronto," Andy wiped her eyes and shook her head.

"Toronto? You said you were from New York."

"That was a cover. This life is a cover. I'm not really Ava Taylor. It's Andy McNally. I'm a cop. I went undercover, and I was made. My Staff Sargent sent me here to hide. Please, you can't say anything. You don't know anything."

"Okay. I love you, Av- Andy."

"Love you too, Rach. I'll be in touch. You should come visit when all this is over," They hugged and cried. Shortly after, Andy hugged Catherine.

"Bye, Mrs. Ava!"

"Bye, Catherine," Andy hugged her and climbed into her car and drove to the airport.

"Mommy, where are we going?" Samantha asked.

"Home," Andy stated.

"But we are home," she replied confused.