chapter two

She recorded everything.  she was not going to miss a single moment. She had recorded her first crawl, her first steps, her first words, and her first birthday. Each day she filmed her whether she was playing or talking. Andy hoped that one day she would have the chance to show Sam how she grew every day. She hoped that day would come quickly.

It was a Saturday just like any other. Five-year-old Samantha had a soccer game. She may be biased, but Samantha Grace did fairly well at the sport for her age. Andy had already recorded every other soccer game. She was set on recording this one as well.

Andy was not going to lie, the child had her fathers looks and long, shiny, black hair. She did favor Andy as well with her big doe-eyes and lions heart. There was never a problem between Samantha and any other kid. She was kind and sweet. She always shared, and just as her mother, Samantha had an allergy to silence. She would start talking and carry on for what felt as hours on end.

In a way, Samantha saved Andy. Samantha would always come home from school to find her mother sad about something.  Andy wasn't depressed, but she wasn't happy. So Samantha did all she could to cheer up her mother. She did things such as crack the corniest jokes which Andy couldn't help but laugh. She was just like her father and a curious child as well. She always asked questions and never forgot a word she was told.

Samantha never really asked about her father that much. She understood it made her mom sad or happy. The first time she did ask, her mom cried.

"Mommy?" Four-year-old Samantha piped up. They had been watching The Little Mermaid.

"Yes, rookie?"

"Why don't I have a daddy like my friends do?" Samantha asked. Andy never really expected her to ask that question. She new one day Samantha would ask, but she wasn't prepared to answer that.

"Well, sweetheart, you do have a daddy." Andy said plainly. She started to tear up. She was happy  Samantha wanted to know about her daddy, yet she was heart broken because she vowed her child would grow up with two parents.

"Well why isn't he here? Does he not love us? Did he die?"

"No. Mommy wishes he were here. I know your father wishes to be here. He loves us so, very much." Truthfully, Andy had no idea if Sam was alive. She had not heard from Frank in about a year.

"Well, where is he?"

"He's-uh- in Canada working?"

"Oh Canada? Mommy! I know where that is! It's- it's the big country above us."

"How did you know that?"

"Because I'm smart!"

"Is that so?" Andy chuckled to herself.

"Mommy, what is Daddy like? Where does he work?"

"Well, let's see. He has dark hair and dimples just like you. He's tall and very handsome. He's a police officer. He's funny and makes jokes just like you. He hangs out with your Uncle Ollie and Uncle Frank and Aunt Noelle."

"I have aunts and uncles?"

"Lots of them."

" Can we go see them?" Samantha said excitedly.

"I wish we could, but not for a while."

"Okay, Mommy."

As Andy cheered for Samantha, Rachel, a fellow soccer mom tapped on her shoulder. Andy looked over to her left.

"You know, Ava, that man over there is starting to creep me out," she said nodding her head in his direction.

Andy tucked her hair behind her ear and placed her hand above her eyes to block the sun. She couldn't quite place where she had seen that face before. He looked extremely familiar as though he were someone she knew back in Toronto. She thought long and hard about it. Her heart began to race, and Andy felt faint when she realized. She froze and struggled to catch a breath.

"Ava, are you okay?" Rachel asked. Andy still sat frozen. Scott, Newport's nephew, had found her. "Ava? Do you know that man?" Rachel asked looking back at Andy.

"No. He just reminds me of an ex," Andy lied. "Hey, uh do you mind if Sammy spends the night tonight with Catherine tonight?" She looked around her chair trying to remember what to grab. "I just remembered I have a dinner with a client."

"Yeah, sure, no problem. You sure you're alright?"

"Yes, just tell her I'll pick her up in the morning." Andy said grabbing her stuff.

She walked out to her blue Chevy Malibu. As she walked, she fumbled for her phone. Andy reached in her bag to grab her keys. She heard a gun cock behind her. It was a sound she hadn't heard in years. Andy turned around slowly. She knocked the gun from Scott's hand and kicked it under the car beside them. She struggled fighting against him until she though a kick between his legs. Scott fell to the ground in pain. Andy ran and jumped into her car and drove away.

Her mind was racing. How did he find her? She had no idea where to go or what to do. Without thought, she dialed a number she knew by heart.

"Hello?"