chapter one

The brisk air of the morning surrounded Sam Wilson as he  jogged around Washington, D.C. The low hum of the city life could be heard in the background over the the tweeting of birds and the pounding of sams feet on the paved floor.

Suddenly, Steve quickly catches up to him and runs past him. "On your left." He mockingly shouts but Sam just shakes him off and keeps running.

As Sam continues to jog, Steve comes around again quickly after doing another lap "On your left."

"Uh-huh, on my left. Got it." Sam mutters.

Steve is on his third lap and comes behind sam again. "Don't say it! Don't you say it!" Sam yells and tries speed up but Steve still manages to overtake him.

"On your left!" Steve says ad his sprints past.

"Come on!" Sam gets angry and tries to catch up to him but only after a few seconds he's unable to carry himself any further and stops to rest underneath a tree.

Steve walks proudly over to him "Need a medic?"

Sam laughs before answering, "I need a new set of lungs. Dude, you just ran like thirteen miles in thirty minutes."

"I guess I got a late start." Steve said humorously.

"Oh, really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap." Sam hesitates before saying sarcastically: "Did you just take it? I assumed you just took it."

"What unit are you with?" Steve asks.

"Fifty-eighth, Para-rescue. But now I'm working down at the VA. Sam Wilson." He introduces himself and holds his hand out for steve to take.

"Steve Rogers." He answered, pulling Sam up.

"I kind of put that together. Must have freaked you out coming home after the whole defrosting thing."

"It takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam." As Steve turns to leave he gets stopped by Sam.

"It's your bed, right?"

"What's that?"

"Your bed, it's too soft. When I was over there I sleep on the ground and used rock for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and It's like..." Sam explained.

"Lying on a marshmallow. I feel like I'm gonna sink right to the floor, how long?" 

Sam smiles and nods his head. "Two tours. You must miss the good old days, huh?"

"Well, things aren't so bad. Food's a lot better, we used to boil everything. No polio is good. Internet, so helpful. I've been reading that a lot trying to catch up." Steve said, its like a whole different world that he's come back into.

"Marvin Gaye, 1972, 'Trouble Man' soundtrack. Everything you've missed jammed into one album." Sam suggested.

"I'll put it on the list." The soldier gets his small notebook and pen out and notes it down on his list which also includes I Love Lucy; Moon Landing; Berlin Wall (Up + Down) Steve Jobs (Apple); Disco; Thai Food; Star Wars/Trek (with Star Wars crossed out, indicating that he has seen it); Nirvana (Band); Rocky (Rocky II?).

Steve gets the text message, ' Mission alert. Extraction imminent. Meet at the curb.' "Alright, Sam, duty calls. Thanks for the run. If that's what you wanna call running."

They shake hands, "Oh, that's how it is?" Sam laughs.

"Oh, that's how it is." Steve says.

"Okay. Any time you wanna stop by the VA, make me look awesome in front of the girl at the front desk, just let me know." Sam shouts over to Steve.

" I'll keep it in mind."

---------- Kaya's POV ----------

I pull up in my car by the curb and roll down the window to reveal two hunky men, drenched in sweat. Steve still looking full of energy where as the other is still panting heavily.

"Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil." I ask them.

"That's hilarious." Steve walks over to the black car and gets in whilst the other man gives me and my car an appreciative look.

"How you doing?" He smirks at her.

"Hey" I smile back.

"You can't run everywhere." Steve interrupts us.

"No, you can't." he watches us quickly pull away and drive off.

"Who's that?" I ask. "Made a new friend?"

"Oh, shut up." He laughs, "He's called Sam wilson and used to work in the para-rescue but is now in the VA."

"Thats cool." I say before zooming down the highway with the engine roaring beneath us.

Within the next few hours, im flying over the  the Indian Ocean with SHIELD agents, led by Brock Rumlow. He's the man in charge even though we have Captian America. "The target is a mobile satellite launch platform: The Lemurian Star. It was sending up their last payload when pirates took them, ninety-three minutes ago." Brock explained the mission whilst pointing to various parts of a ship on the TV.

"Any demands?" Steve asked.

"A billion and a half."

I kissed my teeth, bloody hell thats alot of money. Imagine how many mc donalds i could buy with 1.5 billion dollars.

"Why so steep?"

"Because it SHIELD's and we're sitting on lots of money" I answered Steve's question whilst.

"So it's not off course, it's trespass." Steve stated.

"I'm sure they have a good reason." I said, whilst fiddling with the straps on the outfit  that consisted of leather, sleevless and backless crop top with a zip going down the middle, leather pants, combat boots, fingerless leather cloves and multiple belts to put guns as well ad knives in.

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor." Steve piped up.

"Relax, it's not that complicated." I calmed him down Steve down then asked Brock, "how many pirates?"

"Twenty-five, top mercs, led by this guy. Georges Batroc." he shows us a photo of a bald, mean looking guy on the monitor. "Ex-TGSE, Action Division. He's at the top of Interpol's "red notice". Before the French demobilized him, he had thirty-six kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties."

"Hostages?" Steve inquirers.

"Uh...mostly techs. One officer, Jasper Sitwell." he pulls up Sitwell's photo on the monitor, a middle aged man wearing classes. "They're in the galley."

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship? Alright, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc. Kaya, you'll kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to life pods. get 'em out. Let's go." Steve instructed us.

"STRIKE, you heard the Captain. Gear up!" Brock shouted to his team.

"You doing anything fun Saturday night?" I asked Steve, getting geared up with guns and knives.

"Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so... No, not really." Steve jokes and i laugh at him.

"Coming up by the drop zone, Cap." Brock informs him.

"You know, if you ask Kristen out, from Statistics, she'll probably say yes." I suggest to him, he never goes out unless its to do with shield.

"That's why I don't ask." Steve replies, strapping on his parachute.

"Too shy or too scared?" I tease him.

"Too busy!" He yells before jumping out of the jet.

"Was he wearing a parachute?" Someone asked.

"No. No, he wasn't." Brock smiled.

Word count: 1218