chapter 9

Natasha rushes into the hospital room that overlooks Nick Fury's operation. Steve and I are already there, watching the doctors doing their procedures on the badly wounded director.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha asks, her voice filled with worry as her eyes lay upon the many tubes and medical equipment that are attached to fury.

"We can hope." I answered shakily, not taking my eyes away from the operation.

"Tell me about the shooter." She demanded.

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." Steve answers, I glanced over to him before agent hill barges into the room to see her boss and close friend laying on the medical table, her heart aching.

"Soviet-made?" Natasha mumbles.

"Defibrillator! I want you to charge him at one hundred."

"Don't do this to me, Nick." Nat muttered

"Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!" Fury is given a shock with the defibrillator.

"No pulse." I could feel my hands getting sweaty, knees trembling. It was like a huge weight was in my shoulders.

"Okay. 200, please. Stand back! Three, two, one. Clear!" Fury is given another shock.

"Negative."

"Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this to me." Nat prayed, all three of us watch the doctors as they continue to revive Fury but Fury is still showing as flatlining, Steve turns away as they finally call his time of death.

I exhale and shake my arms, it felt like the world went crushing down around me. Fury was the director. We set us in the right direction, he gave us an idea of what to do in life... and not he's not here; I'm not sure on what I do?

Steve fiddled with something in his hand but That wasn't my main concern right now.

Agent hill declared that she'd take Fury's body, Steve and Nat disappeared down the hospital corridor which left me alone. I don't really know what to do with myself.

——————————————————————

After hours of flying back to New York City which is home to my small apartment, I had enough time to think about the whole situation. It's too dangerous to go back to DC unarmed; if fury's been killed and there was no one to protect him, S.H.I.E.L.D must of failed. Since I have no sort of protection, the safest option for is to retreat... not abandon.

"You're finally back." Someone called out as I entered the apartment complex.

"Oh yeah, family vacation." I chuckled to my neighbor Harley.

"Really? You don't look that tanned?" The blonde girl questioned, causing me to look at my pale skinny arms.

"Oh we went to Canada, where are you off to?" I asked her, she was dressed in her work clothes.

"Late night shift at the mental hospital." She said uneasily, locking her door and adjusting her glasses.

"Oh right, nice talking to you Quinn." I smiled and walked into my home. It was just as I left it, clean and tidy. A thin layer of dust rested on the furniture. Flicking on the switch, the room was light once again but I sensed something wrong. Like there was a sense of crime in the air but I shrugged it off, I really can't be bothered to do anything about it... it's been a long day and I just want to sleep.

I wondered into my bedroom and flopped into my beautiful bed immediately falling into a blissful sleep.

———————meanwhile—————-