Haruka Nanase

At the age of five, I was brought to a church and a man in white with a black belt around his waist came up to me. "Mister you must be good in karate huh?" he looked at me quite confused,

"Why would you say that my child?"

"Because you have a black belt. Mommy, did I come to learn karate to fight bad guys?" the man laughed a little. He then knelt down on one knee and smiled at me with his heavy hand resting on my head.

"Not bad guys my dear, but vampires."

"Vam-pire... Sir, who is that?"

"Not who Haruka," my mother corrected me, "what."

"My child, a vampire is a creature with no feelings for another. As per the creator, they are evil and sinners. You are here to learn to ward them off. They are creatures that suck your blood mercilessly until you're dead."

"But sir, they haven't harmed anyone of mine yet so how can I kill something that hasn't harmed me?" Then my mother began,

"Haruka, do you know how papa died?"

"In a plane crash?"

"No dear, I don't want to tell you this now but I have no choice but to tell, papa died at the hands of a vampire..."

It hit me then. Ever since I had came into this world, papa was always with me, he was my soldier keeping away the demons I used to see (I still see them though but have learned to stay calm and accept it). My papa died at he hands of someone only I can get rid of.

"My child, your papa had the power to rid vampires," the priest went on, "although he was an agnostic, he was a threat to all vampires and it was passed on to you. So for your own safety and the safety of everyone else around you, I will train you to brush up your abilities. You may have the powers of a priestess but as per your father's last wish, you are free to be whomever you want to be. But, you must know to ward off those blood-suckers."

"If they killed papa, I don't think I would ever help them." "Good my child. Now, I must speak to your mother alone." He went to my mother and I could hear him say something seriously to her, "Mrs. Nanase, if Haruka's blood were to be drunk by a vampire, then that vampire will obtain great benefits from her. Haruka's wards will be powerless against it."