final chapter

cody joined anaya outside, the door to her family house shut behind him. he had a smirk on his face, oblivious to anaya standing in front of him. she studied him, he seemed quite pleased with himself, "have a good time?" she asked as they jaywalked across the street to the bus stop.

"you have really nice friends," he replied, "i like your mom too."

"yeah," anaya said, sitting down on the bench, "valentina seemed to like you."

"you think?" cody asked excitedly, "really?"

anaya's eyes flicked up towards with a hint of anger, and she didn't reply.

"what's that look for?" cody asked cluelessly.

"i saw you kiss her," anaya said, "right now, when we were leaving."

cody exhaled and sat next to her on the bench, folding his arms.

"yeah, i did," he admitted, "is that okay with you?"

anaya nodded and replied half heartedly, "it's fine, i don't care."

"if that's true, why aren't you making eye contact with me?" cody asked, standing as the bus rolled up.

anaya remained silent until they were sitting on the bus next to each other, she looked at him.

"i dunno, i just thought you liked me," anaya did her best to sound as calm as possible, but part of her wanted to cry.

cody cleared his throat and sat up a little straighter, "naya, you've made it clear that we're just friends. i didn't think kissing her would be a big deal."

"it's not a big deal, cody," anaya snapped but gained her composure once more, "it's fine."

"you continuously saying that it's not a big deal makes me think that it is," he retorted.

"i don't want to talk about this anymore," she looked out the bus window, making cody sigh.

after seven minutes of silence, he counted, he tried to change the subject, "we have a few days left here, what do you wanna do? do you want to go clubbing tonight?"

anaya shook her head, "i'm kinda tired tonight, i'll just stay in."

"are you sure?" he questioned skeptically, the bus had already pulled to their stop and they had made it to the hotel lobby without any problems. she was being quiet the whole way, which was unusual for her, "are you sure?" cody repeated.

"yeah," anaya replied as she slid her hotel key into the slot, unlocking the door, "i'll just stay in."

cody decided not to press her any further and changed his clothes into something dressier, a white button up shirt and a pair of tight jeans. anaya was on the bed, her headphones on as she scrolled down her phone. he fixed his hair once more before grabbing his hotel key and his wallet from the bedside dresser.

"i'm going to head out," he said, standing next to the bed.

"cool," naya responded, still absorbed in whatever she was doing on her phone.

cody headed to the door, "bye," he called, looking back at her on the bed again before leaving.

--

anaya called her mom when she got bored of scrolling through her social medias and flipping through the channels on the hotel tv, "ma?"