0 | STAR GIRL

✧✧✧
MUGGLEBORN:
PROLOGUE
✧✧✧

FLYING FROM ATLANTA, Georgia to London, England was a whole seven hours: that's three hours of reading, two hours of sleeping, and two more hours and staring out the window she was shoved up against and thinking about how to overthrow the government whilst eating little packages of peanuts.

The sky was a bright, baby blue that contrasted profusely with her rather upset mood. You see, Esther Somers was off to her father's home in London. After her mother's untimely death, her father had gained custody, despite Esther's protests that she'd never even met him and that he lived across the ocean on the island of tea and crumpets. So in the end, the girl grudgingly packed her suitcases. She clung to her Aunt Evangeline at the airport and begged her to let her stay, but both knew that there was nothing that could be done. The girl wept and was flown away.

When the airplane landed, she was greeted by a tall male. He seemed much older than the young, smiling man in the pictures that her mother used to show her. The man's dark hair was on the brink of gray, and his forehead was stained with wrinkles. His brows seemed permanently furrowed, and his lips rest in a quiet frown, leaving him in a permanent state of disapproval. He greeted her with a tight smile, and the girl kept her gaze on the floor, the walls, the ceiling - anywhere but at him. Her father insisted he called her "Dad," but she silently settled upon "Mr. Jefferson."

The drive home was quiet and immensely uncomfortable. Esther replied to his brief form of small talk with a quiet tone and a hasty response. Her father lived in a small, wealthy neighborhood on the outskirts of London. His house was large and a spotless white with black shutters and trim. A single spot of dirt would've stood out, but nothing seemed to be out of place. The shrubs were finely groomed and each blade of grass was somehow the exact same length. It was quiet outside; even the birds seemed afraid of being disruptive. The inside of the home was just as immaculate. Dark hardwood floors, high ceilings with a chandelier in the foyer, and a grand staircase directly across from the front door. It was lovely and filled with expensive decor, and yet the quiet house still seemed empty. Mrs. Jefferson was a prim, short lady who wore expensive jewelry and kept to herself but greeted the girl to be polite. Noah, a young boy of just eight years old, was her apparent halfbrother. He was the only thing that made her smile that day. The young boy simply radiated energy. He greeted her with a tug hug, which the girl couldn't help but return. Esther remained silent as she was shown to her room, stifling a soft thank you before unpacking. Her room was huge, especially compared to the small one she was used to. Her enormous closet and shelves seemed barren with such few clothes. She stored her possessions in a small shoebox in the back corner of her closet.

Night came quickly, but it was difficult to sleep. The bed seemed far too stiff, and her thoughts wouldn't seize. The stargirl had never felt so dim.

✧✧✧

The doorbell had rung a few minutes prior to her name being called. Esther frowned - what could they possibly need from her? She certainly couldn't have a visitor. The girl tiptoed down the stairs and into the living room.

"Yes, sir?" She asked her father, folding her hands awkwardly behind her. Mr. Jefferson sat one of the dark leather chairs, and a tall, stern-looking lady sat in another. Her dark hair was combed back into a tight bun and she wore jade green robes, which Esther thought looked rather funny, especially in the summertime. But she dared not to speak on the matter, for the woman seemed like one she shouldn't cross.