5 | THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY DUEL

✧✧✧
MUGGLEBORN:
CHAPTER FIVE
✧✧✧

The morning following the Quidditch game with the fraudulent Bludger, the Great Hall was swarming with conversations of another attack. Esther clenched her teeth as she walked to the Hufflepuff table, hearing fragments of gossip.

"Who's Collin Creevy?" Someone asked.

"Some Gryffindor; a first year..." said another.

Esther miserably sank into her seat between Pippa and Amanda. Amanda gave her a sensitive attempt at a smile.

"So you've probably heard all the details then?" Amanda asked, and took a bite of her toast.

Esther shook her head. "Just bits and pieces. Collin Creevy?" Amanda nodded.

"I see him following Harry Potter around with a camera sometimes," Justin commented from across the table.

"Who do you reckon is behind the attacks?" Terry, who was seated on the opposite side of Amanda, asked.

The table grew quiet for a moment. "Esther and I saw Draco Malfoy looking very smug during transfiguration the other day while Professor McGonagall was discussing the chamber."

"You think it could really be Malfoy?" inquired Amanda.

"I suppose it's possible," Esther muttered, but she had her doubts. "Would he really do this though?"

Amanda nodded in agreement. "He's a bully, no doubt, but I don't know if he'd petrify - or kill - anyone."

The group pondered for a moment, taking bites of their breakfast. Then Hannah ran up to the table.

"Have you heard about the Dueling Club?" The blonde asked, cheeks flushed.

"The what?" questioned Justin.

"Professor Lockhart started a Dueling Club because of the attacks. It's meeting tonight, after classes."

Esther furrowed her brows. How would a dueling club protect them from a monster?

✧✧✧

"Gather round! Gather round!" Lockhart called from atop a golden stage in the great hall, his flawless hair shining in the light. Esther and her friends stood alongside the stage's edge.

"Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent. In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club, to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions - for full details, see my published works."

Esther stifled a giggle, glancing at Amanda and Terry, who were doing the same.

Justin nudged Esther. "That Lockhart's something, isn't he? Awfully brave chap."

Lockhart rambled on as Justin turned to the boy next to him who had been listening in on their conversation. Esther recognized him to be none other than Harry Potter.

Justin stuck out his hand, introducing himself. "Justin Finch-Fletchley. Hufflepuff." Esther couldn't help but listen in. She had heard about Harry, of course, but never really spoke to him.

"Nice to meet you." Harry smiled sincerely. "I'm-"

"I know who you are." Justin grinned. "We all do. Even us Muggleborns." He glanced at Esther.

Harry looked at her, and Esther smiled shyly, then nodded in agreement. "He's not wrong. I'm Esther Somers. Slytherin, obviously." She glimpsed down at her black and green robes.