10 | THE GANG'S BACK TOGETHER

✧✧✧
MUGGLEBORN:
CHAPTER TEN
✧✧✧

"Esther, come on! I want to go to the park with my friends!" Noah whined from downstairs.

With a pencil and a pad of paper, Esther huffed. She had been trying to respond to her letter from Justin; she had received it days ago and still hadn't replied. "Fine, fine, I'm coming," she called. Esther pulled her long blonde hair back into a ponytail and grabbed her materials before bounding down the winding staircase to greet her brother.

"I don't see why I can't go on my own. I'm eleven!" Noah protested, skateboard in hand, while they exited the house.

Esther shrugged as she locked the door behind them. "Well, Dad's in China again for work and your mom's with her friends right now. If something happens to you, it's on me."

Noah mumbled some other complaint under his breath but didn't say much else on their way to the nearby park.

Esther took a seat on one of the benches when her brother ran off to greet his friends. Her paper was still blank, to her distress. She wasn't quite sure what to say to her friend; not much had been happening lately. The girl decided to reread Justin's letter.

Esther,

Have you heard of the Quidditch World Cup? I'm going to assume you haven't (I hadn't until Ernie filled me in).

Basically, there's a huge competition with quidditch teams from just about every country. It's supposed to be fantastic to watch. This year, the final match is between Ireland and Bulgaria. It's happening here in England, and Ernie's dad had an extra ticket, and Ernie invited me to go along with them! I'm beyond excited. I wish you could come, it sounds fascinating.

Anyways, see you soon!

Your friend,

Justin

Esther smiles gently with a small pang in her chest. She missed all of her friends, of course, but she enjoyed having a kind muggleborn friend like Justin who could relate to some of her struggles. They had become closer over the last year.

Dear Justin, she began.

You must tell me all about the Quidditch World Cup when we return to Hogwarts! I've missed you lots this summer, and everyone else of course. I'm rather excited for our fourth year, though I know that DADA classes won't be the same without Professor Lupin. It's no wonder they say the job is jinxed; we've had a different professor every year. I hope we have a kind professor again.

Anyways, I hope you have lots of fun at the World Cup. Say hello to Ernie for me!

Sincerely,

Esther

✧✧✧

"Happy Birthday, Esther." The girl's father smiled, sliding a present towards her from across the dinner table. The family was eating breakfast and celebrating Esther's birthday before she left to join Terry in Diagon Alley. They would be leaving for school the next day, and she was simply bursting with excitement.

"Thank you!" She exclaimed, pulling off the bow and unwrapping the box. Inside lay a small midnight-blue journal that was intricately decorated with golden stars and moons, along with a set of gold-colored pens. "They're lovely," Esther exclaimed, lifting them out of the box.

"I helped pick them out." Noah beamed, then he shoveled more oatmeal into his mouth.

"You have your money for school shopping?" Mr. Jefferson asked. He was carefully choosing his words; Noah and his mother still did not know that she was attending a wizarding school.