C H A P T E R - 5

With high pace, she threw the cloth over her canvas before quickly reaching over the keys on the table to put them in her school bag. She gave one last look at the mirror, adjusting her scarf and hiding stubborn hair strands that peeked out. She grabbed the door knob and held it down, opened the door wide and slammed it shut after her feet found their way out of her room.

Strolling down the stairs, she found her father was peacefully spending his time, drinking coffee and simultaneously moving his eyes through the words printed on the newspaper in his hands. She was planning on giving him a small peck on the cheek before heading out. Despite the temptation, her mind had last minute plans, her feet changed direction and within seconds she was out of her house, ready to start a new school day.

Eleen sighed a sigh that was embellished with disappointment and started walking to where they meet every day. Almost after five minutes, she found herself standing in front of the flower shop, hers and Sara's meeting place. As she looked at her watch that encompassed her small wrist, her features were instantly colored with a deep frown. It was unnatural for Sara to be this late. She chose not to make a big deal out of it and went to sit on a nearby bench, waiting for her best friend to make an appearance.

When she looked at her watch again and realized they were thirty minutes late, her brows knitted in worry and confusion for it was extremely out of normalcy for Sara to be this late. Her worry was soon accompanied by concern and fear and as a reflex, her eyelids slept over her silver globes to keep her posture calm and composed. When she thought nothing would come out of it, she took out her phone from her jeans pocket ready to dial her number but her fingers immediately stopped at motion when her ears caught the sound of her voice. At that, her head shot up aggressively and her eyes caught the sight of Sara running to her. When she was a few centimeters away, she bent over her knees trying to catch her breath. She didn't wait for her heart to fall back to a steady rhythm and instantly started talking while panting,

"I know what you are thinking," she said in an apologizing tone, "I was buying something really important and I never thought it could take that long." Her gaze moved to her best friend's and when she was met with a warm smile, she continued with a grateful one, "So, thank you for waiting." And marked the end of her statement with a big hug that crushed the weak frame in front of her.

"It's no big deal," she assured with a small smile. At that, they started their way to school. Good thing they would come every day at six when really their school started at seven. So, they kept going with their feet gently hitting the lane, enjoying the soft breeze blowing their hijabs.

***

He secured the four stones with the rope in his hand, trying to make a ball. In the end, instead of having a blown up plastic ball, his hand held a hard irregular shaped one.

"There," He said in pride, wiping sweat from his forehead, "Now, we can play football like we used to," Young fifteen years old Hamdan addressed the kids and to prove what he said, Hamdan kicked the so-called-ball up in the air and the moment it hit the ground, his legs began moving in swift motion, playing. Before he could make his final kick to score a point, another pair of legs had the ball within seconds,

"Come on, guys. It ain't that bad." Ali said encouragingly, with the hope of getting the childhood glee within their grasp again. Young Karim got too excited and as a proof, he jumped up and down and with eagerness started running towards the ball. For his sake, Ali eased out the ball's motion, allowing Karim to have it and aim for a goal. When he saw the ball crossing the border they made, he screamed happily, closing his eyes as a reaction and everyone cheered for the little joy before them.