Chapter 2

Colette stared at the wreckage before her, trying not to let her dismay show and not entirely succeeding.

Taro saw it in her eyes, of course, and panicked just a little at the thought of maybe losing their newest resident before she'd even settled in. "I'm so sorry, my dear. I know it's quite a sight. But you know, the previous owner passed away several years ago, and he had been sickly and weak for quite some time before that. It was in bad shape when you bought it at auction, when was it? Four years ago? Five? And no one has come out to inspect it or make any repairs on it since. If we'd known you were coming, we would have tidied it up a bit for you."

She shook her head. "No, it's my own fault. I have to admit... I really only bought it on little more than a whim, then all but forgot about it until just a few weeks ago. So I've no one to blame but myself. But it's okay, really. I'm not afraid of hard work."

Taro laughed, relieved by the determination in her voice. "Well, that's certainly a good thing!"

And indeed it was, she thought as she surveyed her new home. Acre upon acre of fields covered with storm-tossed debris and thick with weeds, outbuildings that appeared to be just one storm away from collapse, a rickety old windmill that Taro said supplied both power and fresh water to her farm, at least in theory. And then there was the house.

She used the term loosely, of course. Shack might better describe it, or shanty, or even hovel. It had probably been a decent-ish rustic cabin, once upon a time, but not anymore. She was almost afraid to step inside, but taking a deep breath, she stepped up onto the porch, ignoring the way the whole structure shuddered and creaked, and opened the door.

It hadn't been locked. Odd, she had thought at first, but once she stepped in, she could see why no one bothered. There wasn't anything worth taking, and no one in their right mind would want to stay here as it was, anyway. It was dark inside, the windows still boarded up. The only light was the spring sunlight that peeked in through the doorway with as much hesitation as she herself felt. Oh, and over there was a patch of sunlight that shone through a hole in the roof. That'd need to be fixed, and soon, she sighed to herself.

Debris and broken glass covered the floor of the single room. Decrepit furnishings sagged, the fabric rotting and moldy. Damn it, not even a bathroom, she noted with dismay. There was a rusting cookstove at one end of the shack, one of the doors falling off its hinges, and an assortment of cupboards and shelves on the walls. The whole place positively reeked, too, like....

"Oh my goddess, is that a dead seagull?" she yelped, backing out the door quickly.

Taro peered in past her. "Why, so it is! You'll want to get that out of there quick. Phew, kinda ripe, isn't it?"

Gagging, she clamped her hand over her mouth and nose as she nodded a vigorous agreement.

As they stepped back out into the sunshine, she exhaled deeply. "Well," she said in her brightest voice, "I seem to have my work cut out for me! I, uh, think maybe I'll stay in the hotel, until...."

"Until the stench clears?" Taro said, his eyes crinkling with suppressed laughter.

"Exactly. And until I can get it repaired to a livable state. Is there anyone...?"

"Gannon," Taro interrupted, nodding sagely.

"Gannon?"

"Gannon Fitzgerald. He's a carpenter here, kind of a general handyman when it comes to repairs and construction, really. Strong as an ox and none too bright, to be honest. But he's very skilled, really a master of his trade. Anything you want built or repaired, he's your man. Come on, my dear, follow me. I'll show you around. Let's start with the hotel, so you can get yourself a room, then we'll go see Gannon about your house. After that, I'll introduce you to the others."