+++ 04 - IT STARTS WITH AN APOLOGY +++

VITTORIA

“How’s your day, Angelo?” Nicolo asked while we are having breakfast.

I shrugged and answered, “Fine. Had a good time at the beach. Although Giovanni slept through my walk.”

He chuckled at my complaint. “You took him out of his bed at four in the morning. Be considerate.”

“Because if I don’t, you will get mad at both if us. I don’t have a choice.” I responded jokingly.

“You just need to ask me so I can have Piero and Fabio come with you.”

“Then I will not enjoy the quiet.” I said before hearing grumbles from the background. When I turned around, I found the three guards at the door muttering in defense. Nicolo and I both laughed at them before returning to our conversation. “Anyway, how’s Lupo?”

“Still running.” He answered coolly. “Morrigan will be back by three. Do you have any plans with her?”

“Do you?” I asked hearing something in his voice.

Nicolo grinned and put down his fork. “It’s our anniversary. I was thinking of taking her on a cruise. What do you think she will say?”

I beamed and screamed, “Knew it! She will definitely love your surprise.”

He relaxed upon hearing my answer. “Want to join?”

I chortled shaking my head no. “And be a third wheel? No thanks. I rather stay here and annoy the boys.”

He pertly reprimanded me. “Don’t be too hard on them.”

“I’m not.” I answered pouting at him.

“Yeah, right.” He agreed amusingly. I looked at him rolling my eyes. To others, he may be a strict man but to his family, he is different. He is cool and levelheaded. And he adores his wife so much. And me too.

“So when will you return?” I inquired as we resumed our meal.

“We’re going to cruise around Santorini. Should be back by the weekend.” He answered.

“Well, enjoy and happy anniversary, Fratello!” I gave him my happy smile which he returned appreciatively.

“Thank you.”

++++++

Nicolo and Morrigan left a few hours ago so I decided to visit the town for some shopping. I don’t have friends back in Naples so I didn’t need to spend money buying stuffs for anyone.

When Nicolo adopted me, he took me to Naples where they officially resides. He was only in Sicily for a business trip that time we met. Nicolo made me an Arcadi and heir of his business. When they put me to another school so I can finish my senior year, I requested not to use Arcadi as my last name and told them it will keep me safe to which they agreed. We decided to hide it under a different one which is not that hard since our family are connected to influential people and agencies. I became known as Vittoria Lupescu – the surname derived from our family crest – but my transcripts are still under Arcadi. The high school was much better than my last and people there were not as judgmental and bullies as the previous one. I always stick up to myself so nobody messes with me. I was known as the lone wolf in the pack. I didn’t mind it. I even loved my solitude.

My family decided that if I want a normal life, they will provide it and give me as much normalcy as they can offer. When Nicolo took over Kostas Company – the family business owned by Morrigan’s father, they had to leave Naples and moved in to Santorini while I decided to stay there. It is also more convenient for me since I am still studying. With the wealth we have, it also provided safety for me. Nobody even know who I am related to. The Arcadis are well known in Italy for their business and my brother told me that there are people who will try to use anything or anyone to win against him. I understood what our separation means as well as the secrecy of my existence.