Chapter 5

Kirito's POV

I stared at the messages on my phone, hardly believing it. Liz had sent me an article with no context, only a small emoticon frowny-face.

Asuna had already moved on. She found herself a better guy. Probably someone who doesn't kiss his cousin on the lips. A ding from my phone brought my attention back to my messages with Lisbeth.

"Have you seen this?" She wrote.

"She's moved on, I know," I responded. "I know I messed up, alright? I'm just trying to give the two of us space for now until I know how to make things right."

Liz was typing for only a short while before I got another message from her.

"No, I mean, have you really read the article? Did you see who she's dating?"

"Why should I care? It's not like I have the right to be anywhere near her now anyway."

"Oh my God, stop being an idiot and just check the article!!"

Rolling my eyes, I scrolled up in our message log and clicked on the link, leading me to some dumb gossip website that leeched off of SAO Survivors' juicy rumors.

I scanned the article, praying that my heart wouldn't hammer out of my heart. Then I saw the name.

'Asuna Yuuki, also known as The Lightning Flash in the VRMMORPG Sword Art Online, has started dating a young man with fair looks, identified as Kou Rosu.'

It only took one glance at the enclosed photograph to make my blood run cold.

"Oh shi-"

"Do you see what I mean now?" Liz's message appeared on my screen. "Asuna doesn't know... I think she might be in danger. After all, a former PKer from our SAO days doesn't make the best boyfriend."

"Haven't you texted her?" My thumbs flew across the screen as fast as possible, letting auto-correct form coherent sentences from my broken English.

"She's blocked everyone. I think he's influencing her already :("

I flung open the door and almost slammed it shut behind me, tripping over my own feet and falling down the stairs. I picked myself up, glanced around the room, then grabbed my jacket and ran out the front door.

Nothing could wait. Asuna was in danger!

Hopping on my motorcycle, I crammed my head into my helmet and then sped off, having memorized the route to my ex-girlfriend's house. The only things I could think of the entire time were scenarios where Asuna was being hurt in some way by Kou. My mind wandered to Kuradeel, a man just as deranged as Kou himself. In my imagination, Kuradeel's face was replaced by Kou's, who laughed wildly as he swung his blade into Asuna. Red polygons flew off the wound as I extended a hand to stop him. My mouth was open as I tried to scream, but no noise would come out. There was nothing I could do as I watched Asuna smile and shatter into nothing but glowing polygons of data that would soon be deleted for eternity.

I gritted my teeth. Hang on, Asuna. I'm coming.

~~~

"No, Asuna, listen- your boyfriend- he's dangerous! He's-"

"Kirito, I think the only dangerous one here is you," she cut me off, staring me dead in the eyes. A chill crept through me, freezing my body in place. "Showing up at my house in the middle of the night uninvited? Spreading lies about my boyfriend?! You have no right to call Kou dangerous. Just what do you even know about him?!"

"Asuna-"

"Go home, Kazuto. Stop pretending like you're the hero when all you do is make things worse. This isn't SAO anymore."

She shut the door on my shocked face as I struggled to process what had just happened.

She was in danger, but wouldn't accept help from any of us.

But was it because she didn't want it, or... because she had no choice?

~~~

Asuna's POV

I shut the door, turning around to see Kou standing on the stairs, watching my every move.

"I turned him away," I said. "Just like you asked me to."

"Perfect, Lady Asuna," he smiled. "You're getting much better. I think you've gotten over him, haven't you? You deserve a kiss as your reward~!"

"No, not now," I muttered as he walked towards me. I tried to push him away, but he clasped my hand in his and pressed his lips on my cheek. "Kou, stop. Not right now."

"What's wrong, my lady?" His curious eyes met mine, eyebrows turned upwards. "I thought you wanted me."

"I do, I just-" I put my hand to my head as I sighed. "I'm not feeling the best. Sorry, I think you should go home for now."

"Really? I can get you an aspirin if you want-"

"No, Kou, please, just go home. I need to be alone for now."

He studied my face intently for a couple of tense seconds, but his face broke into a soft smile.

"Alright, my lady." He brushed some loose strands of hair out of my face. "Remember, I'm just a call away. I love you." Then he exited out the front door and closed it behind him, casting me one final glance.

I rubbed my face with my hands, then slapped my cheeks. I couldn't think straight for some reason. I mean, I loved Kou, right? So why did I still have lingering feelings for a certain swordsman...?

~~~

Kou's POV

I shut the door quietly so as to not reveal my true feelings. Gripping my phone tightly, my shaking fingers tapped the screen, typing in his address.

Lady Asuna still liked him. Which meant... It was time for Plan B.

Goodbye, Black Swordsman.