Chapter 6

Kirito's POV

Once I had reached my bed, I practically collapsed on the mattress, covering my face with my hands. She was in danger, but I couldn't do anything about it.

She wouldn't accept my help anymore, probably because she had stopped trusting me. I couldn't blame her. I pulled out my phone and started to distract myself with a pointless time-wasting game, but it was better than my usual thoughts, at least.

A couple of soft knocks on my door made me look up from my phone.

"Go away," I muttered.

"One of your friends is here to see you," Suguha's quiet voice came. We hadn't directly spoken to each other since "the incident". "I'll be in the training room if you need anything."

Her footsteps receded from my doorway, becoming quieter and quieter. Then, my doorknob spun slowly and the door began to creak open.

"Hello, Kirito," a chilling voice began to speak. I bolted upright and whirled around to face the door, my hair standing on end. "Ah, sorry, that's a habit. Shall I call you Kazuto Kirigaya instead?"

"KoRosu," I growled. "The infamous PKer of Laughing Coffin, brother of Kuradeel."

He laughed, filling my room with a horrible noise. "Good! So you remember me. And I remember you. The 'hero' of Sword Art Online, and the Romeo to Asuna's Juliet."

"What do you want with us?" I took a deep breath, attempting to hide my fear.

"Had a honeymoon on Floor 22, in a log cabin," he continued, staring me down. My eyes widened. "You found a small girl named Yui."

"How do you-"

"Kuradeel had instructed me to keep surveillance over Asuna if he died," the man spoke with a simple smile on his face. "Surely you understand?"

"You- You stalker!" I cried, scrambling to my feet. I didn't know what he'd do next. I clenched my fists.

"You stole Asuna from me!!" He howled. "I just got my revenge!! And... even now... EVEN NOW, you STILL won't let her go! Even after I pushed that girl into you-" He cut himself off there, putting a hand to his mouth.

"No way..." I gasped. "That was you?!"

"Ah, I've spilled my little secret," he grinned, the corners of his mouth turning up in a twisted smirk. "Well, I won't have to worry about that in a couple of minutes." He stuck his hand in his pocket and pulled out a pocket knife, flicking open the blade in an instant. "Goodbye, Black Swordsman."

A flash of silver lunged toward me.

~~~

Suguha's POV

I swung my shinai overhead, practicing my technique. And yet... I just couldn't concentrate. My mind kept wandering to Kazuto, and what had really happened that day.

I hadn't kissed him. Yet no matter how many times I told anyone, no one would believe me.

"Nah, stop lying," a former friend's words echoed in my mind. "We all know you'd do anything to date Kirito."

I swung my shinai with more force this time, making a quiet swishing noise as it cut through the air.

Why wouldn't anyone believe me? And Kazuto's been avoiding me ever since it happened... I need to make things right.

A loud crack resonated through the air and I stopped, looking at my sword, but it looked completely fine. I hadn't made that noise. I glanced at the ceiling, and a loud crash followed. What was happening?

"Kazuto?" I asked, putting down my equipment. "Are you alright?"

A cold feeling crept into my stomach. Was he in danger?

I had to go help him!

Clenching my shinai, I steeled my resolve and raced up the steps.

His door was ajar slightly, and I gulped, then opened it, scared of what might have been inside.

Oh.

Oh.

"KAZUTO!!!"