Prologue

Fifty years ago the world split. No one remembers exactly how magic came to be part of our lives, but now it is our lives. We separated, fire and ice, a natural boundary now so deeply engraved in our world.

When magic came it changed the world order. At first it brought us together, our history class tells us that the pre-magic societies were full of war and conflict. Hundreds of nations tearing into each other over land, resources, and religion.

They tell us that life is better now, that the leaders brought peace and prosperity. They rose with the magic, five leaders, the first to have natural magic that preached a global nation, a nation where no one was needy and everyone had a place. They gave magic to the world and with it brought peace and prosperity. The Magic Peace, as we now call it, lasted long enough for a generation to grow up with the comforts of magic never having known war.

But as the Alliance grew small divisions began to spread. The peace was splintering and at the root was fire. Molten magic was seen as destructive and dangerous and these ideas spread quickly. Those born with fire magic were marginalized and pushed to the edge of society, and as time passed they were eventually exiled, but not without a fight.

It's this war we learn about in schools, how ice beat fire. How the Leaders proved the stability of the Alliance and have maintained peace for over a hundred years. The system works, everyone has a place, and everyone is necessary.