The Flame

"Did you notice Rose acting strange today in class." I'm relieved to see that Eric is back to his old self. I don't want to lose our friendship before we have to.
        "Yeah, maybe that nickname is getting to her." I put extra emphasis on the word nickname. I want Eric to know that an upstanding citizen like Rosalynn should not have to deal with such a demeaning name.
"You should talk Crys, you brought that nickname upon her single-handedly." Ah, the banter is back.
"That was before I realized the implications. From now on let's just call her Lynn if you don't want to say her full name."
"What has gotten into you Crys! I'm trying to act as if everything is normal, but it's not!" I can see the tips of Eric's fingers glow red with blood. "You just keep acting like you're above it all because you made it into some big fancy school." Eric is steaming with rage.
"You don't understand." I know he'll just use my words as kindling, but I allow them to pass through my lips regardless.
"Well maybe I could understand if you allowed me a chance!"
"As you wish..." I know this is a bad idea, Eric will be crushed, though I know that either way he will be upset.
"As you wish! Are you kidding me! I am still the same person I was before you got the acceptance! You're the same person too! I can't believe that you think this gives you a right to treat me any differently!"
"Rosalynn got in too, okay!" My voice echoes across the empty schoolyard. I had not realized how long we had been arguing. Eric is struck dumb. He just walks away with a blank expression. I am left alone in the vacant lot. My fingertips feel like ice! I pull my hands into my body. For a second I remember that it is early September, but a cold shiver quickly blows this thought from my head.
❅❆❅
    "Beeeeeeep Beeeeeeep Beeeeeeep" The comm chip in my ear will not silence. I need to talk to Eric but he won't pick up! Defeated I reach up to my ear and switch the comm chip off. The silence that comes next is deafening. I sit on the edge of my bed, the sweet nothing that runs through my ears begins to seap into my head, fogging my vision. I curl up on my soft bed, and I feel myself sinking into the cool, smooth sheets. I barely even notice that my body isn't making a warm imprint on the comforter. A far off buzzing nearly awakes me from my nap, but the weights on my eyelids pull me into a comfortable sleep.