4

there is always
something to be thankful for

A M A R E

Cleveland, Ohio
Thanksgiving
6:30pm

      The burning sensation in my nostrils lasted for a couple of seconds until it turned into a euphoric feeling in my body

      The burning sensation in my nostrils lasted for a couple of seconds until it turned into a euphoric feeling in my body. Being around all these people during Thanksgiving you need something to ease your nerves.

"Amare come down here and help me with these plates!"

I glanced at the door and quickly put the white substance back in my baggy. I splashed water on my face to clear it up a bit. Making my way downstairs I saw my mother struggling to reach for the cups on the high shelf. I grabbed them for her and set them out.

"Thank you baby. You know my short self would be standing there for the longest." She said while mixing the mac and cheese.

"It's no problem, mama." I sniffled. I felt her eyes on me. Nervousness washed all over me.

"Give it to me, Qua." I looked at her and bit my lip. "NOW AMARE!" I huffed harshly while roughly pulling the baggy out my pocket and giving it to her.

She shook her head in disappointment, "What the fuck am I gonna do with you? I thought you went to rehab for doing this shit."

I stood there facing the floor, not wanting to see the disappointment in her eyes. Yeah I went to rehab, but I relapsed after a month of being out. I've been stressed with a lot of bullshit so this is my only outlet.

"Go upstairs and don't come down at all. I'll bring your food up." I scoffed and laughed before walking upstairs.

That's why dad left.

K A D E N C E

Long Island, New York
Thanksgiving
7:43

Long Island, New YorkThanksgiving 7:43