#⃣ Indian Cricket Team facts

1. Sachin Tendulkar once happened to play for Pakistan before he started playing for India!!! Yes, it is true. This incident took place during a practice match between the rival nations India and Pakistan at the Brabourne Stadium in 1987. Tendulkar came onto the field as a substitute fielder for Pakistan.

2. Bishen Singh Bedi once forfeited an ODI match between India and Pakistan simply because of too much use of the bouncer deliveries by the Pakistani fast bowlers especially, Sarfraz Nawaz! India just needed 23 runs from 14 balls with 8 wickets in hand when this incident happened.

3. The Indian cricket team is the only team to have been dismissed fully twice in a single day of a test match. This happened against England at Old Trafford in 1952.

4. The 1984-85 seasons’ 2nd One Day International between India and Pakistan at Sialkot, Pakistan. India was at a score of 210 runs for the loss of 3 wickets with Dilip Vengsarkar on the crease at a score of 94*. Match was duly announced to be abandoned after hearing the news of the then Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi being assassinated.

5. The only cricketer to have played for both England and India is The Nawab Of Pataudi (Senior), aka, Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi, the grandfather of Indian actor, Saif Ali Khan.

6. VVS Laxman is the only Indian cricketer to have played 100 Test matches and did not play a single World Cup match.

7. Indian fast bowler Ishant Sharma is held responsible for all the three highest scores made by a batsman against India in the 21st century. The list includes –

Alistair Cook – 294 Runs, Edgbaston 2011;

Michael Clarke – 329 Runs, Sydney 2012;

Brendon McCullum – 302 Runs, Wellington 2014.

They were all dropped by Ishant Sharma at quite early stages of their innings.

8. The Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni has never scored an ODI century outside Asia.

9. Shahid Afridi was flown in to play for the Pakistan team from West Indies to Nairobi in 1996 without a proper bat. That was when Waqar Younis gave ‘Young Afridi’ a bat to score the then Fastest ODI century off just 36 balls against Sri Lanka. Afridi hit 11 sixes and six boundaries. The record though now belongs to South Africa’s AB De Villiers.

10. Indian batsman Mohinder Amarnath is the only cricketer in cricket history to have been dismissed for handling the ball and obstructing the field.

11.  India’s lowest total in One Day International match –

It was India v Sri Lanka in the Sharjah Cup final. First Sanath Jayasuriya roasted the Indian bowlers for a majestic score of 189 runs as his team scored a total of 299 runs. Next in India’s part of batting, Sri lankan fast bowler Chaminda Vaas cleaned up the top order including the best opening pair of all times, viz., Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly and the entire team fell out soon after like a pack of cards for just 54 runs on the score board.

12. India’s lowest Total in Test Cricket –

It was the 2nd test match of the India Vs. England Test series at Lord’s stadium in London. The Indian team collapsed like a pack of cards within just 42 runs piled at the score board. Following on in the 2nd innings, little did the Indian side imagine that they would be piled up for such a meager score.

13. The God of Cricket Sachin Tendulkar got out for a duck only for once in his entire Ranji Trophy cricketing career and the bowler was young and naive Bhuvneshwar Kumar.

14. Bhuvneshwar Kumar is only the second batsman in ODIs to be out for a diamond duck (0 off 0 balls) but it was not a run out. He was actually stumped off by a wide delivery on his very first ball.

15. Sunil Gavaskar was out off the very first ball of a Test match thrice in his cricketing career.

16. Sunil Gavaskar batted the entire 60 overs of a One Day match, scoring just 36 runs and remained not out in the 1975 World Cup match against England. India at the end lost the match by a huge margin of more than 200 runs.

17. Bapu Nadkarni sent down 131 deliveries without even conceding a single run versus England at Madras in 1964.

18. India 51 – 72 Pakistan. Yet, India 7 – 0 Pakistan. In all the 132 ODI matches played till now, India has won 51 matches while 72 matches have been won by Pakistan. And no result = 4, abandoned = 5. However though, India has never lost to Pakistan in any World Cups over the years. That’s a positive side as well.

19. On the day when Sunil Gavaskar was born, his uncle, Mr Masurekar had come to the hospital to see his nephew for the first time. His uncle noticed a small hole near the top of his left ear lobe. But the very next day, when he arrived at the hospital to see little Sunny, he did not find the hole! He was much shocked. A query was made later and little Sunny was found asleep blissfully beside a fisher-woman in the next bed. The little master was quite mysteriously been switched at birth but he was luckily been restored thereafter. Now, one often ponders as to how different India’s as much as the World’s cricketing history would have been different had Gavaskar’s uncle not been so observant! This one really creates goose bumps.

20. Prabir Sen, hailing from Bengal, India was the only wicket keeper in the cricket history to have stumped Sir Donald Bradman of Australia.

21. India is the only nation to have won the 60-Over, 50-Over and 20-Over World Cups.

60 over – 1983

50 over – 2011

20 over – 2007

22. Sourav Ganguly, Team India’s most successful cricket captain is the only such cricketer in the history of Cricket to have four consecutive ‘Man of the Match’ (MoM) awards in One Day International (ODI) format of cricket. 

23. Mohammad Azharuddin, the former Indian captain is the only batsman to have possibly scored three back to back centuries in his first three test matches.