Chapter 1 - The attic

A fifteen year old girl stood on the stairs to her attic. "Hey dad, can I come up and have a look around?" Miranda asked, hearing her voice echoing throughout the newly unlocked room. "Sure come on up, watch your step though there some boxes up here." She started her way up the stairs and poked her head in. She looked around for a moment then continued up. "So what do you think of your new room?" She heard her dad ask from behind a stack of boxes. "I think it could use some dusting." She giggled. She started to walk over to where her dad was but stopped abruptly when she felt as if she had hit a wall of cold air. She stood for a moment then continued over to the boxes to look through. "Don't touch those. They have mold on them." She made a disgusted face when she heard her father say that. "Yay. I'm sharing a room with a bunch of mold." She said sarcastically.

It was around seven PM when her father had finished cleaning the attic and moving Miranda's furniture up there. Everything was perfect, except those moldy boxes still remained but she didn't mind, she just wouldn't touch them.

Miranda was sleeping soundly until about three AM when she felt tapping on her shoulder. She shifted and rolled over keeping her eyes closed she said, "Go to sleep Hailee!" She opened her eyes when she heard a thud coming from her dresser, like something had bumped into it. That's when she saw it, a shadow of a man standing in her room, staring at her. She screamed like someone was murdering her, which she thought would soon happen. Her father quickly ran up to her room with a bat in hand. When she opened her eyes the shadow was gone. "Sorry dad, just a bad dream." She lied. She knew what she saw but she thought her parents would think she was crazy.