Chapter 1

I was running through the darkness looking, searching for a way out. I have been running for what feels like forever, in circles most likely. It looks like I am in some sort of basement. The last thing I remember is my body being dragged through a cemetery by a black cloaked shape. My instincts tell me that I am no longer alone. A shadow appears out of the corner of my eye. Whatever it is, it is definitely not human. It crawls across the floor, slowly inching closer towards me. I search frantically but there is nowhere to go, nowhere to hide. I have two options left. I can die down here or I can fight. But instead, I scream.

“Alexa, Alexa! Wake up!” My eyes snap open to a bright room but they quickly adjust to the light and I then notice a boy. He towers over me like the weeping willow outside my window.

“Alexa, it is going to be okay, you are safe now.” He wraps his strong arms around me. His eyes are a clear sky blue with messy blonde hair. His face shows concern and another expression that I can’t quite name.

“Jacob,” I sigh his name and lean closely into him.

“You had the dream again, didn’t you?”

“Yea, I just do not understand what it is supposed to mean. I always know how to interpret my dreams but this one is a mystery and I am completely lost and confused,.” I sigh in exasperation.

“You need to rest,” Jacob says. “Go to sleep, I will wake you up in the morning.”

“Don’t leave me Jacob.”

“Of course not, Alexa.”

I sigh and close my eyes. Jacob gets up and walks over to my bean bag. He lifts it off the ground and brings it closer to my bed. He settles down into it and watches me for hours until he finally falls asleep to the rhythm of my breathing.