Chapter 2

I open my eyes a few hours later. Sunlight pours through the window, enveloping everything in its sight. I look around, breathing in the morning view.

“Alexa, are you awake?” someone whispers from the doorway.

I look in the direction of the door and notice that Emily is in the doorway.

“Hey.”

Emily walks into my room. She is only eight years old and has been for the past twelve years. Emily is what we call a vampire. She was attacked when she was eight years old and I have been teaching her to control her hunger. She feeds off animal blood in the forest, which is only a few miles away from where we live.

“Would you go hunting with me? I am really hungry.”

“Sure, but did you ask Jacob already?”

Jacob is a vampire as well. The difference between Emily and him is that he was made. He stopped aging when he turned 21. He survives off of animal blood as well, but he doesn’t go hunting as often as he should. He is usually the one who goes hunting with her.

“Yea, but I want you to go with me. You are faster and smarter.”

“Ha, do not let Jacob hear you say that.”

This is usually where things get complicated. When I was 11, my father began performing science experiments on me. Now, nine years later, I am a genetically modified weapon. I have the strength and endurance of a werewolf, the hearing, sight, and speed of a vampire, and healing powers and visions of angels. Of course, I have the emotions of a human.

“Alright, let me get ready and I will be down in a minute,” Alexa sail.

I walk into my closet. I put on a pair of shorts and a white tank top. A grab pair of black boots and a leather jacket and put them on. I then walk to the back of my closet. I move my coats aside, punch in my four digit code and open my vault. Inside is a weapon heaven, everything you could need for war, or in my case, protection. I grab two hand guns and attach them to my belt, a few daggers and put them in my boots, and my personal favorite, my bow and arrows. I walk out of my room and down the stairs into the kitchen.