6

Little Pebble
Chapter Six: Pebbles
Dedicated to two of my super active readers who writes loads of funny comments.
known_wolves
Navasakti
____________________

Breath of relieves. I escaped death again.

"Great, now we're in the middle of nowhere," Andy said as he hit the steering wheel with his palm. I was still panting, almost lack of oxygen and I was dizzy. We were one centimetre close to meet death. At least we met a miracle.

The surroundings were nothing but tall dark oak trees. We must have lost control of the car and ended up here in the forest. I can't believe I survived that.

"We could follow up the tracks to where we came from. The tyres made obvious marks on the grass," I told him, then gave him a cold glare. "Why didn't you stop?"

"I know when to stop, you didn't have to jump out from your seat."

"You know when to stop? Almost killing those children in a few metres is portraying that you know when to stop? You're insane!"

He kept quiet and got off the car. I glanced at the side mirrors and saw him checking the tyres and every other parts. He took a quick examine around the car before he got in again. I assumed this Nissan is still fine to go.

"Andy, can I trust you?" I asked.

"You need to trust me as much as you trust Henry. You want to stay alive, don't you? Without us, you might never get to see the killer's face. I want to catch Lia's murderer as much as you do," he replied. "So trust me."

Trust. His sentence rang a memory in my head. Lia once wrote a note to me about trusting the Rays. I trust Henry but Andy? I'm not sure if I can trust Lia's judgement about Andy but since she had made it clear to believe her, I'll have to learn.

The ride to Henry's place was hushed. Dead quiet. Andy never took his eyes off the road once and I never tried to break the silence. I didn't want to.

"What took you guys so long? We only have three hours before sending Daisy back to the school," Henry said as he opened the door. "What on earth happened to you two? Daisy, your arm... What happened, senior?"

"I drove too fast. Lost control. I'll go get something for your arm." He said to me.

My hand reached to my injured forearm. It hurts so much as soon as my fingertips made contact with the skin. Also, there's addition of headache for my concussion, it was supposed to be healing real quickly.

Andy came back with roller bandages and some other stuff. "I'll do it myself," I told him and glanced at his shoulder. "You know how to bandage it yourself right?"

He said nothing and nodded.

"What happened?" Henry asked.

"A car was following us. It's not friendly at all so I did what I had to. Unlucky me, I lost control. We didn't crash or overturn anyway." It was half-truth and half lie. I jumped in to grab the steering wheel and drove us straight towards a tree.

Henry had the worried look pasted on his face. Still, he remained calm and got lost in thoughts. Probably analyzing the situation we're in now.

He stood up out of the blue and signalled us to follow him up the stairs. I've been to this house, I came here frequently to visit Lia and Henry but I explored no further than the stairs.

"My grandparents will be home soon but no worries, they were used to you coming over to our house," Henry told me.

Our foot walked on the wooden flooring. Henry unlocked the first door closest to the stairs, it was a bedroom. Lia's bedroom.